+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Digi Cool sensor mod......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Yes that's what I got.
    I bought those a while back before I went with two double pin (1200 style) plugs on the 1250.
    FWIW the "pins" on the two wire plug are larger and don't work on the 4 wire plug.
    I'm thinking about using the leftovers to take out the transducers and run them out on a wire with plug instead of using hoses like the MFM300 and set it up with core removers to replace a manifold.
    I think it should all fit in a VETO MB
    Wow that's thinking way outside the box. Good luck. Keep us posted
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Here's a little trick that I've come up with to protect the sensors.

Take the sensor and carefully wrap it up about the width of your palm and close the velcro around it.

Now, wrap a piece of insulation a bit longer than it is around it and wrap a mille-tie around that. Radio Shack has them around here.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-07-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: format

Post Likes
    I got the contact cement, 2'' aluminum sprin clamps from Harbor Freight, along with heat shrink tubing for marking one of the wires with red for the high side, and for the connections that needed to be soildered at each end of the wire. I used shring tubing instead of using electrical tape. I got the 6.5'' attenuating dubbing cable from radio shack. I got the Bernzomatic butane micro flame torch from Home Depot, it was perfect for this project. For the clamps I drilled out the center of the clamp where the temp sensor is so it could be somewhat more flush mounted instead of sticking up so high, then used the contact cement to mount in place.

Post Likes
    Kleinman did you end up soldering them. I guess you could use cooper air pobes and actually have air temps on digicool(not at same time)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac17011 View Post
    Kleinman did you end up soldering them. I guess you could use cooper air pobes and actually have air temps on digicool(not at same time)
    Yea those connections are soldered. I did the same thing.. Works good. Only problem is Im using the cooper clamps more then the digicools..

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    are those bulgin part numbers for the plug on the ak900

Post Likes
    The Bulgin part # is for the 1600/1200/1250 DRSA.

Post Likes
    anyone have part numbers for ak900 to cooper.like to start from plug on unit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac17011 View Post
    anyone have part numbers for ak900 to cooper.like to start from plug on unit
    bump ....... im interested in tinkering with my Coopers but want to keep it clean looking

Post Likes
    The hole in the face should be the same on all the units so if you are looking at getting parts you could switch everything (plug and socket) over to the old style.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    im playing around with some ideas at this time but am trying to keep it up to dougs standards & waterproof is a bit..h. ordered in a few jacks the otherday & they are supposedly water proof ...if they work the coopers
    will plug right in but not 100% on the accuracy using that thermistor.
    that doug sure sets a high bar for us to try & raise. makes me wish i were
    younger to see the changes that are going to take place in this industry
    over the next few years ...

Post Likes
    Yeah.... Think I'm gonna get out of the game of modifying Doug's design. My beautiful 1250 is now almost completely useless, thanks to my attempted field re-engineering. It's going in a box and on a truck to BC tomorrow, hopefully get brought back to life.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    I've got an idea for a couple different clamp/sensor setups. I'd like to start with just a raw thermister and a male plug instead of sinking $100 into a set of Velcro Digicool sensors that I'm going to get all MaCGyver on. How do you guys know that the Cooper thermister are the same as Doug's stock thermistors? Having some specs on what is stock sure would help. What's the point of modifying them if we lose the accuracy? That the reason I got them in the first place. I just don't trust the reading with how loose the sensor ends up being. I have poor Velcro skills when it comes to tight places.

Dan
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

Post Likes
    i took jp's advice & cut the Velcro off. i use those millie ties which works great. i still would like a separate clamp on. i was afraid i would pull the wires right out of the sensors on the ones my ak came with so today i put some high temp around the point the wires go in & smoothed it out nice. i hope it helps if not oh well

Post Likes
    In my experience in the field the Digicool sensors are usually off, maybe effected by ambient?? I made the plug modification to accept the cooper clamps and they work great, faster responding even, on the 1250's. If I hook up the same cooper clamp to the cooper srh77a the super heat and sub cooling readings are they same on the 1250's and the copper Thermometer. (same measured line temp)

An example today, it was cooler This morning and The digi clamps said I had almost 10* sc with a flashing sight glass. I assumed that must have been off and hooked up the coopers. Turned out it was closer to 1-2*.. The digicool clamps seem to work ok on larger suction lines but forget about the liquid line IMO. The one this morning was 5/8"..

Im going to but another red cooper clamp to use with the digicools..

Post Likes
    Are you insulating those sensors?

If you aren't then you will see inaccuaracies.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Are you insulating those sensors?

If you aren't then you will see inaccuaracies.
    Insulating the clamp itself? How would I do that? 4" armorflex with a 3/4" wall??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Insulating the clamp itself? How would I do that? 4" armorflex with a 3/4" wall??
    I meant the standard DC sensors. Isn't that what you were using and saying they were inaccurate?

I've found no reason to question these sensors when tightly connected to the line and insulated well.

Post Likes
    i loved the Cooper red clamp but they would only last a season. for 120 a pop(i think that's what they were) i had enough after a few. i have quite a few of those pipe straps that come with the Cooper boxes but never cared for them so i was going to try them in my test modification ..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I meant the standard DC sensors. Isn't that what you were using and saying they were inaccurate?

I've found no reason to question these sensors when tightly connected to the line and insulated well.
    I was referring to the Digicool pipe clamp's they were over a hundred when I bought the 1250's.. For some reason when I upgraded to the pipe clamps I did not get the standard sensors. It would be nice to try them and see how they work..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in