+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Digi Cool sensor mod......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Figured I'd shoot a couple pix of the unit in single sensor mode.
    That turned out very well. Thanks for sharing that JP..

Once those other strap type sensors become available Ill purchase the 900's to go with the 1250's..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    That turned out very well. Thanks for sharing that JP..

Once those other strap type sensors become available Ill purchase the 900's to go with the 1250's..
    Speaking to Brenda tonight, I don't think it is too far off.

Post Likes
    Did she give a projected date? I am still waiting on the digis because I don't want to mess around with all of this

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    i got pissed at my clamp being inaccurate so i smashed the thing .. saved the wire tho. debating on attempting making another sensor or just buying one ... i cant get a close up image on the digi-cool clamps to see how well they make contact. how are they ? .. i suppose if i bought the set of those i could modify it to work with my ak900 & then have an extra one in case . . . . i def dont want to spring for antother cooper clamp on because i can get 2 digis for price of 1 cooper & i havent even seen that cooper around recently anyway

The Digicool clamps are nice.

They are using heavy wire from the clamp handle to the plug and a lighter wire from the handle down through the clamp to the jaw.

I'll take any pictures that you want from any angle that you want me to.

I can e-mail them to you if you'd like so that you can see them with better resolution, too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    Did she give a projected date? I am still waiting on the digis because I don't want to mess around with all of this
    No date, sorry. Only that they were about to put them up on the website.

Post Likes
    im curious to see the sensor part where it attaches to the pipe

Post Likes
    Just looked at the site and they are on it now!

Post Likes
    also why do those look different than the pic i did find on a search?

Post Likes
    im curious to see the sensor part where it attaches to the pipe
    It is pretty well embedded in the rubber of the clamp jaw. The wire is well protected and well routed through the clamp structure.

I'll try to remember to snap a pic or two for you tomorrow. Sometimes, my ADD kicks in and I forget.

Post Likes
    Just looked at the site and they are on it now!
    Sweet.

Post Likes
    also why do those look different than the pic i did find on a search?
    Not sure.

The picture of the new AK sensors show a bit of detail that you're looking for.

Post Likes
    Jp should I buy the new straps or do you think your pipe clamps are the way to go?

Post Likes
    Jp should I buy the new straps or do you think your pipe clamps are the way to go?
    Well, whaddya want to do with them?

I modified mine the way that I did for my own convenience.

In MY opinion, the less wires, the less mess, so I bought the 1200. One sensor wire to contend with. I still adhere to that philosophy.

That is why my AK will now work as an either/or unit.

My primary thing is refrigeration and superheat is the name of the game. I rarely check SC on a refer unit (they've got receivers and sightglasses so I don't need to) The extra wire was just in the way and, predictably, got broke last spring.

If you pick the AK, then you're limited to either the stock velcro sensors or the stretchy velcro ones that were just posted. The clamp model that I bought will not directly fit the AK. The plugs don't match.

To do what I did, you've got to aggressively modify the unit. Drilling, grinding, cutting, and soldering.

You've also got to modify the sensor set. I'd had them for a whole 20 minutes before I cut the dual plug off, stripped the wiring back and soldered new ends on.

IMO, you can't go wrong with any of the DC products. If anyone asks me, I normally suggest the 1200.

Post Likes
    Well, whaddya want to do with them?

I modified mine the way that I did for my own convenience.

In MY opinion, the less wires, the less mess, so I bought the 1200. One sensor wire to contend with. I still adhere to that philosophy.

That is why my AK will now work as an either/or unit.

My primary thing is refrigeration and superheat is the name of the game. I rarely check SC on a refer unit (they've got receivers and sightglasses so I don't need to) The extra wire was just in the way and, predictably, got broke last spring.

If you pick the AK, then you're limited to either the stock velcro sensors or the stretchy velcro ones that were just posted. The clamp model that I bought will not directly fit the AK. The plugs don't match.

To do what I did, you've got to aggressively modify the unit. Drilling, grinding, cutting, and soldering.

You've also got to modify the sensor set. I'd had them for a whole 20 minutes before I cut the dual plug off, stripped the wiring back and soldered new ends on.

IMO, you can't go wrong with any of the DC products. If anyone asks me, I normally suggest the 1200.
    Thanks for the great reply. Is it possible for you to do a more in depth explanation to how you did yours? or maybe a rough drawing of how you connected and soldered the wires to the pins?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the great reply. Is it possible for you to do a more in depth explanation to how you did yours? or maybe a rough drawing of how you connected and soldered the wires to the pins?
    Sure. Keep in mind that my AK unit is a BETA model and some details may differ between it and the current production unit.

Totally disassemble the DRSA. Open the case, disconnect the transducers and set the back aside, disconnect the sensor wiring and cut it off of the plug. Remove the CPU board and set that aside as well.

Remove the plug in the faceplate and, using a dremel with a cutter bit to open the hole up to accept a 400 series Buccaneer panel connector (with 2 male pins)

Now, things get UGLY.

Above that hole, there is a ridge of plastic. Using a cutter, remove it.

I "eyeball centered" and drilled a 3/8" hole in the faceplate, then used the Dremel to open it up to accept another panel connector.

Once both connectors fit, I installed them.

Taking the sensor wire connector, solder a pin to each end.

Numbering the wires from top to bottom, I installed wires #1 and #4 in the top panel connector. #2 and #3 in the bottom one.

I took a set of clamp sensors and disassembled the 4 pin plug (for the 1250) and cut the wires off as close as I could.

I installed a Buccaneer 2 pin male connector on each one.

It sounds complicated, but, honestly, the worst part was figuring out exactly which parts I needed from Digi-key dot com. The 400 Series of connectors is a pretty broad series and has a lot of variety.

If you buy an AK-900, there is really no reason for you to attempt this modification. The plugs that I installed are the same ones that DC uses on the 1200 model as that is the other DRSA that I own.

If you want to have the one or two sensor functionality, the mod that hvacrmedic started using the 1/8" headphone type jacks is a better mod, IMO. It is less invasive to the unit, and a LOT easier to do.

If I were doing that one, I'd cut the sensor leads off about 4-6" from the plug, solder on the female jacks, permanently marking them in some manner. Install the male ends on the sensor leads and you're done.

You're looking at almost $75 in materials just from Digi-key to do it my way.

Post Likes
    The Digicool clamps are nice.

They are using heavy wire from the clamp handle to the plug and a lighter wire from the handle down through the clamp to the jaw.

I'll take any pictures that you want from any angle that you want me to.

I can e-mail them to you if you'd like so that you can see them with better resolution, too.
    what's the part # on these? i don't want the other clamps with the thin wire i want these.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79

what's the part # on these? i don't want the other clamps with the thin wire i want these.
    Not a different part #, I just ordered the scissors clamps and that is what I got.

Post Likes
    from where? i want to make sure i get those & not leftover from the early ones lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79
    from where? i want to make sure i get those & not leftover from the early ones lol
    Straight from Digi-cool

Post Likes
    ok doug
    now it is time for you to put all the paets in a bag & start marketing the diy
    a cools with no instructions & a 900 # ... the only problem is you will run out of hair pretty quick. this product is too solid to be playing with but like every otherpiece of
    equipment it does have a weak spot. that will be overcome when you get the wireless
    op & ronnpng. but then another snake will rear its ugly head.
    supposed to be meeting a fellow this pm thet
    markets specialty wire & connectors & orings so maybe he has some rings
    that may work with your shuttle valve problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in