+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Digi Cool sensor mod......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    i loved the Cooper red clamp but they would only last a season. for 120 a pop(i think that's what they were) i had enough after a few. i have quite a few of those pipe straps that come with the Cooper boxes but never cared for them so i was going to try them in my test modification ..
    What failed on the Red Clamps? Im about a year in with mine and so far so good. I really like them as well as the strap pipe sensors...
    I am still going to pick up another set to use with the 1250's and see how that works.. From the get go when I bought the Dc's I never used the clamps because the temp reading was off. I brought in the cooper box and the DC's.

Now I would really like to see an accurate reading on the 1250, thus the reason for the modification...

It will be interesting to see what comes about with this new ak900 style thermistor..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I have my ak mod with the Cooper straps , I haven't noticed any temperature problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasg View Post
    I have my ak mod with the Cooper straps , I haven't noticed any temperature problems.

Have you bothered to check? I thought my micron gauges were fine until I bothered to check them against one another.

Dan
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

Post Likes
    Yes in ice water and my cooper box.

Post Likes
    do you have pics of what you did. I just got my AK900 and I am wanting a nonvelcro option

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm
    Here's a little trick that I've come up with to protect the sensors.

Take the sensor and carefully wrap it up about the width of your palm and close the velcro around it.

Now, wrap a piece of insulation a bit longer than it is around it and wrap a mille-tie around that. Radio Shack has them around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by fheatair
    do you have pics of what you did. I just got my AK900 and I am wanting a nonvelcro option
    Try the link in the post quoted above yours.

They work great.

Post Likes
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1019051&page=2
    Jp idea is pretty good also if you dont want to take the chance of messing your new sensors up. I did mod only because I pulled my sensor wire out of the sensor going up a ladder. I keep them in a small bag that slides down the hanger now works great.

Post Likes
    x2 on keeping them in a small bag connected to the manifold. i keep a few millie ties in there as well.

Post Likes
    i did the mod the other night & am able to use my cooper straps now ... didnt really care for the strap type probes before but thats because i was spoiled using clamp on. it works & looks great. im going to take 1 of the 2 probes that came with the ak900 & modify an old testo clamp a friend of mine threw away after the connection pins broke .... id share pics but anyone who has read this thread has seen the idea already

Post Likes
    I've got an idea or two for an interesting Digi-cool sensor mod.

I've got materials on the way right now for it.

I'll take pics as I do it for you all

Post Likes
    i did the clamp set up .. here's the pics. it came out decent i used some scrap wire from a digital temp control i had to shorten the sensor length on & the testo clamp. the part i don't like is I'm only getting 33° on it no matter how much i stir up the crushed ice/water mix compared to the 32° on my Cooper strap. how bad could that 1° mess me up or is it tolerable? its irking me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I've got an idea or two for an interesting Digi-cool sensor mod.

I've got materials on the way right now for it.

I'll take pics as I do it for you all
    OK, I finally got the parts ordered, the time set aside and grew the B***S to start remodeling a DRSA.

Here was the plan. Purchase a set of dual scissor clamps and some materials from Digi-key.

Chop the 4 pin connector off of the dual scissors and install individual plugs to match the original 1200 connector.

Rip the 4 pin connector out of the AK and install 2 plugs matching the 1200.

This gives me the advantage of using a single sensor if I want a single and dual sensors when I need it.

I've also got the ability to use clamps or simple probe sensors as needed or wanted for the job at hand.

Post Likes
    Nice now you just need to drive down here and set mine that way

Post Likes
    JP, How can you use only one sensor when needed?? OR are your referring to using the 1200?

Also Do you ever see inaccuracies with those clamps in the first pic in a high surrounding ambient?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    looks good. that's the other thing i like about the mod i did also i can use one sensor at a time as opposed to having the other one dangle there. you didn't take pics when you had it apart?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    JP, How can you use only one sensor when needed?? OR are your referring to using the 1200?

Also Do you ever see inaccuracies with those clamps in the first pic in a high surrounding ambient?
    I KNEW that someone was going to raise this issue.

The 1250 MUST have both sensors connected or it won't read either. The AK doesn't CARE. It can have one sensor or two. It reads them at start-up and functions accordingly. Hook up one sensor and it will work like a 1200. I can switch between SH and SC normally using the MODE key. Hook up both and it works like a dual sensor model.

I haven't had the clamps long enought to notice any inaccuracies, yet, but you can be certain that I will be watching for it and TESTING for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    looks good. that's the other thing i like about the mod i did also i can use one sensor at a time as opposed to having the other one dangle there. you didn't take pics when you had it apart?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    The internal mods are pretty intensive. You have to pull the panel socket, obviously, cut and solder the new pins on.

You've also got to open up the hole for it and locate the new hole. The upper hole also requires cutting out a LOT of plastic.

Once I got into it, I decided not to mess with pictures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasg View Post
    Nice now you just need to drive down here and set mine that way
    2 hours time, less than $50 in materials from Digi-key, a Dremel and a blatant disregard for anything approaching a warranty is all ya need.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCHVAC View Post
    I got the contact cement, 2'' aluminum sprin clamps from Harbor Freight, along with heat shrink tubing for marking one of the wires with red for the high side, and for the connections that needed to be soildered at each end of the wire. I used shring tubing instead of using electrical tape. I got the 6.5'' attenuating dubbing cable from radio shack. I got the Bernzomatic butane micro flame torch from Home Depot, it was perfect for this project. For the clamps I drilled out the center of the clamp where the temp sensor is so it could be somewhat more flush mounted instead of sticking up so high, then used the contact cement to mount in place.
    I was sitting in my recliner thinking of this exact same way of doing it, then I logged on hvac talk and saw your thread...seems easy enough.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10

Figured I'd shoot a couple pix of the unit in single sensor mode.

Post Likes
    i got pissed at my clamp being inaccurate so i smashed the thing .. saved the wire tho. debating on attempting making another sensor or just buying one ... i cant get a close up image on the digi-cool clamps to see how well they make contact. how are they ? .. i suppose if i bought the set of those i could modify it to work with my ak900 & then have an extra one in case . . . . i def dont want to spring for antother cooper clamp on because i can get 2 digis for price of 1 cooper & i havent even seen that cooper around recently anyway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in