Thread: Boiler Dr

Boiler Dr

Looking at a replacement of Trane 625 ton Centravac chiller, My costs are huge,
    Local distributor says its lost its Life? Operator says it was running great at shutdown. What info should I look for to prove contractors opinions? Chillers aren't my specialty Boilers are. Where can I find a Good Chiller Seminar that is not Bios to their products? to Recovery in AA

Look on here on the contractors locator map and call in a second opinion from a Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by welddoctors View Post
    Looking at a replacement of Trane 625 ton Centravac chiller, My costs are huge,
    Local distributor says its lost its Life? Operator says it was running great at shutdown. What info should I look for to prove contractors opinions? Chillers aren't my specialty Boilers are. Where can I find a Good Chiller Seminar that is not Bios to their products? to Recovery in AA
    Good luck with that , most are just sales classes, if they start that i walk out and ask for my money back, i dont need to be held captive and high pressure sold.

Regarding the chiller, did they change refrigerants by any chance?
    Make a call and have someone else look at it, compared to the cost of a new unit its dirt cheap.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

boiler dr

Carrier is the service guys. I think its still R 11. Though may b 134

Quote Originally Posted by welddoctors View Post
    Carrier is the service guys. I think its still R 11. Though may b 134
    That may be the problem. Have Trane give you a second opinion. Sometimes factory service techs can be biased toward their brand and against other brands.

What specifically is your service providor saying is wrong with your chiller? other then that it is old? Losing oil? Bad bearings? Motor megged bad? Tube failure? You should get a second opinion from the OEM of the chiller- Trane. May just need some TLC.

Who is this "local distributor"? Is that the Carrier guys? Regardless, R123 has given good advice. I find it hard to imagine a cvhe has "lost its life", if that means it cannot be repaired. Perhaps they meant it would be more cost-effective to replace it with a newer, more efficient machine? That I could believe. You should still get a second opinion. Or two.

The bldg. personel always have found memories of the unit. "Oh it ran so good!" It may be a turd, it is a low pressure machine that has been sitting with air in it for who knows how long. Probably full of rust, but with money anything can be fixed. We have units from 1956 that are still making bacon. It all comes down to money, we can save you money now with a repair and still burn a ton of energy to run it. Or spend the cash and have a new unit pay for itself in a few years. I love to repair the old ones, but it makes more sense to replace sometimes.