TEV or Compressor

Hi guys I am a newer tech in the field and I always seem to have a hard time determining if the compressor is the cause for low refrigerant flow, or the TEV is the cause. I realize you can take amp readings at the compressor and compare to FLA. But I was looking for some methods, measurements, and tricks to making the proper diagnosis from some of the more experienced techs using this forum.

accurate gages & thermometers will answer your questions.
    get a few more posts & apply for pro stayus & youll get
    a lot more help.

This is a really great question as I see technicians time and time again who have trouble making the correct diagnosis when confronted with this issue! I have always had great luck checking the head temperatures on larger reciprocating compressors! A failed suction valve that allows discharge gas back into the piston chamber for re-expansion will send the compressors head temperatures through the roof! Hope this helps and I am really excited to hear everyone elses thoughts on this matter!

Quote Originally Posted by sgagne199 View Post
    Hi guys I am a newer tech in the field and I always seem to have a hard time determining if the compressor is the cause for low refrigerant flow, or the TEV is the cause. I realize you can take amp readings at the compressor and compare to FLA. But I was looking for some methods, measurements, and tricks to making the proper diagnosis from some of the more experienced techs using this forum.
    read up on performance analysis.

Each manufacturer offers performance charts. This allows you to predict the precise operating amperage for a given compressor under a given set of circumstances.

I use this method quite frequently to determine a bad compressor and it has been 100% accurate.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-04-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    accurate gages & thermometers will answer your questions.
    get a few more posts & apply for pro stayus & youll get
    a lot more help.

Quote Originally Posted by sgagne199 View Post
    Hi guys I am a newer tech in the field and I always seem to have a hard time determining if the compressor is the cause for low refrigerant flow, or the TEV is the cause. .
    The TEV superheat reading (at the sensing bulb location) will tell you if the valve if feeding correctly or not.

High superheat = low refrigerant flow.

Then the fun begins in determining why the superheat is high.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    read up on performance analysis.

Each manufacturer offers performance charts. This allows you to predict the precise operating amperage for a given compressor under a given set of circumstances.

I use this method quite frequently to determine a bad compressor and it has been 100% accurate.

Totally agree , a compressor efficiency test will tell you with 100% accuracy if it is doing the job it has been designed to do.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Your responses guys are a very good help. This site is an excellent source of knowledge and experience and is great for newer technicians learning the trade.