Municipality Poll
    Dear enter your municipality we are conducting a poll on how mechanical inspections are performed across the United States. Please provide answers to the following questions:

1. Does your city send a bill or require in person payment for inspection services before a final inspection is performed?
    2. Does your city mail out bills for inspections?
    3. Does your city mail out the green tags when a job passes inspection?
    4. Does your city allow a new home builder to purchase one permit to cover all the trades?
    5. Does your city verify the license holder listed on the paperwork is actually the responsible party that performed the work?
    6. Are your city officials required to test and verify the equipment is designed and in proper working order?
    7. Does your city collect a permit fee only after the inspection is finalized?
    8. Does your city allow a certificate of occupany to be issued without a final inspection done?

Thanks,
    Steve Wiggins,
    hvac contractor advocate
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Rensselaer, Ind
    1. No inspection fee
    2. No
    3. No
    4. yes
    5. electrical only
    6. equipment no. Gas piping system,plumbing and meter base to circuit box they are anal about.
    7. Any and all fees paid up front at time of bldg permit with the exception of Gas service. Fee at application for gas line, no meter until gas line paid for.
    8. No
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Get your State to approve a Statewide construction code act, then licensing acts for all trades, then add jurisdictional provisions and you end up with something like this:
    Walled Lake & most of Michigan jurisdictions
    1.Permits pulled and paid prior to starting work
    2.The only mailing done is for violations and reinspection fees which must be paid prior to next inspection.
    3.Approval tags are left on the job. Not necessarily green.
    4.Builder pulls building permit, trades pull their own.
    5.yes, and if its a HO they sign that they are doing the work themselves and not a contractor otherwise FRAUD.
    6.Design is checked at plan review, Man J, D etc. All work specified on approved plans & equipment works at final with proper tests as required or no approval. Resi is little different since at the moment no air balance report is required as in commercial.
    7.All fees in advance
    8.No, but there is the temporary C of O if no life saftey items are left to finish and that has a time limit.

Then there is that western county that Heybob is in that makes up rules as they go until they get preformance evaluated by the State lol

[Edited by vern p on 02-21-2006 at 04:46 PM]
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Originally posted by vern p
    Get your State to approve a Statewide construction code act, then licensing acts for all trades, then add jurisdictional provisions and you end up with something like this:
    This sounds ok but I don't understand it.

It is against the law and business ethics to charge for a service before it is performed. Permits must be paid for AFTER the inspections are done. I am starting a grass roots class action suit against all cities that operate this way.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

3.Approval tags are left on the job. Not necessarily green.

For new const. one must be left on the job. For replacement work the final must be mailed to the contractor.

Also if the tag is red the exact violation number in the code must be citied in writing. No explanation necessary. In fact verbal or written direction is discouraged.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    This sounds ok but I don't understand it.

It is against the law and business ethics to charge for a service before it is performed. Permits must be paid for AFTER the inspections are done. I am starting a grass roots class action suit against all cities that operate this way.

Apartment complexes charge an application fee, before they do a credit check on you.

Fast food resturants collect before they serve your food.

Theirs alot of biz that collects before service is done.

That must be a Texas law.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins

It is against the law and business ethics to charge for a service before it is performed. Permits must be paid for AFTER the inspections are done. I am starting a grass roots class action suit against all cities that operate this way. [/B]
    Pretty much the same as Vern here in KC area depending on city.
    Steve,
    did they not perform a service when they reveiwed the plans and issued the permit?
    Good luck with your lawsuit, got a Lawyer to take it yet?

Verizion charges me for airtime before I use it, can you sue them for me too?

There is no plan review for a resi retrofit permit.....maybe that is the problem?

They reviewed your application for permit and issued a permit, you don't think there should be a charge for that?

Originally posted by rsmith46
    They reviewed your application for permit and issued a permit, you don't think there should be a charge for that?
    Give me a break. Reviewed what? All the intake person knows is if that address is inside city limits. I don't think issuing some paperwork justifies a $75 fee.

The fact is permits are being paid for and inspections are never done because the contractor never calls for the final and the city never asks why not. Kind of a neat arrangement don't you think?

My solution is the city cannont collect for their service until they perform the inspection. That will stop a bunch of this favortism crap.

Actually the city here sends me a nasty letter if a permit isn't inspected and finaled within 180 days. You should complain to your city if they don't, not expect free permits and you only pay if you pass.
    We also get good mandatory continuing education classes put on by the licensing board. With free lunch. And you can attend up to 10 days a year free.

[Edited by rsmith46 on 02-22-2006 at 11:07 PM]