Inconsistent Water Pressure and Hot Water Problem

Hi All,

I am back with a new question. I have a home which is 16 years old and I am beginning to experience inconsistent water pressure and temperature when during on faucets and shower heads. Symptoms are as followings:

1. When turning on a faucet, water comes out in a thin stream and sometimes cuts off completely for about 15 seconds. It will then either return at half force or full force after a few spurts. This problem used to be intermittent, but now happens just about every time a faucet is turned on anywhere in the house. In the case showers, water just trickles down with no force.

2. It takes forever to get hot water. At times, I can leave a faucet on for five minutes and still have no hot water.

Facts about the dwelling:

1. We are on well water and city sewers.

2. Well pump and hot water heaters are 16 years old.

3. We have hard water and no softening system that I know of.

I suspect the following could be the causes:

1. Water heaters are at the end of their productive lives and need to be replaced.

2. Mineral deposits have corroded piping and the well pump.

3. The pressure regulator valve needs to be replaced.

Any advice you guys might have will be helpful. I really do appreciate all of the info I have received in these forums over the past few years.

The question I have is ......Is this just the hot water side you are asking about or
    both hot and cold experience this low or no pressure phenomena.

Is the well pump pressure control functional? What pressure does the pump turn on, and what pressure does it turn off?

could be a couple things possible
    expansion tank is water logged and needs replacing
    small air leak in punp suction line
    pump going bad
    well is drying up from years of use and not enough rain lowering the water table
    need a well guy to come and check it out

Thanks for getting back to me. To answer some questions:

1. The water pressure issue occurs when using both hot and cold water.

2. I am not sure what pressure the pressure pump controls. I just assumed that every residential plumbing system had some sort of pressure regulator and that mine could be bad.

3. I don't think the well has dried up because the home is located in an area that has received record rainfall over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by wcladley View Post

2. I am not sure what pressure the pressure pump controls. I just assumed that every residential plumbing system had some sort of pressure regulator and that mine could be bad.

3. I don't think the well has dried up because the home is located in an area that has received record rainfall over the past few years.
    Sounds like the pump is not operating when it needs to. Lowe's, HD, or some local hardware stores have a device you attach to a hose bib. It shows you what your water pressure is. Attach it, and open a faucet, and see what the high/low pressures are for pump cycling.

It sounds like that may be your problem.

a competent Plummer could find your problem as it could a few different problems I would take a good look at the pressure switch that turns on the pump first

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    could be a couple things possible
    expansion tank is water logged and needs replacing
    small air leak in punp suction line
    pump going bad
    well is drying up from years of use and not enough rain lowering the water table
    need a well guy to come and check it out
    This list pretty much sums up the most likely causes given your symptoms. I would add the pressure switch as a possibility although a water logged expansion tank is quite possible too. They would be my top too choices. You need a plumber and/or well professional.

As an aside, record rainfall doesn't necessarily correlate to the well's water table so it's still a possibility though less likely.