Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

After going to a class on these mod furnaces, my company and I can't figure out why any one would want to buy one.

First off, the tech rep said that there is no gas savings with the modulating furnace over a standard 90% furnace, the only savings is in electic unless you use a 2 stage t-stat over a modulating t-stat. (Then what good is a modulating furnace?).

Second, the problem with the furnace taking almost a hour to go from 40% to 100%. He said this is a real problem for people that just want to take the chill off. It won't do it unless you know the work around as he put it.

So, what is it with this high price furnace? I don't see it. Some one please explain.

You're right. They are terrible misfits in our otherwise stable industry
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

The 90+ mod is for ultimate comfort, not energy savings.
    You're right, don't make a whole lot of sense when we are
    trying to conserve energy. But you know how them wealthy
    people are. Comfort is a must.

They are un-paralled in that market.

Regards......

Some of that ain'ta makin' sense.

None of the high end furnaces save gas over their single stage counterparts. They are for comfort. The ECM on any of them provides electrical savings regardless of stat used. Any of them will have dehumidify capability too.

An hour to go from 40% to 100%? Never heard such a thing. Maybe one of the Rheem gurus can clarify that one. I know I've never had any complaints at all about their heating. Nor have I experienced an hour to full fire when I've been working on them.

Hey, if you don't want the comfort benefits of the Mod, Infinity/Evolution or any other high end furnace, there are plenty of 90+ single stagers to choose from.

QUOTE]Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    You're right. They are terrible misfits in our otherwise stable industry [/QUOTE]

Robin, your not "bashing" are you? Would you respond the same if it were a Jani question?

The savings are different to your location.

Here on this site, heating is the determining factor to knowledge. Most members are snowbirds. I have never, being in S TX, and probably will never offer a 90+ furnace, much less a mod. And the dealers sell very little of them also. Heating in TX is minimal, much like Robins ojt experience. JK dude, anyway. You do what fits your income level and need. Never let a smooth talking salesman make you buy a furnace, or a/c you don't need.

Originally posted by gonefishing

The 90+ mod is for ultimate comfort, not energy savings.
    You're right, don't make a whole lot of sense when we are
    trying to conserve energy. But you know how them wealthy
    people are. Comfort is a must.

They are un-paralled in that market.

Regards......
    You said it. "comfort" Can we all agree that is the main goal to provide to a customer? Not the bottom line? Than how can a line offer max with very little quality or long standing results, be in the same market as the tranes, ruuds and carriers? If your in that market, say so. It's o.k. just be honest. Just dont think consumers will believe your even keel with the rest just because your "new brochuers" are shiny"

ikey; if you knew me just a little bit better or did just a little bit of homework you would understand the irony of my post.

Anyone who knows me here knows that I was not bashing the Rheem/Ruud mod furnace....even if it is a mutant.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    ikey; if you knew me just a little bit better or did just a little bit of homework you would understand the irony of my post.

Anyone who knows me here knows that I was not bashing the Rheem/Ruud mod furnace....even if it is a mutant.

Yes even a mean as he has been to me today
    he was not doing any bashing. you might need to get to know some of us a tad better and you will understand, and as hard as this is to say I don't know that I have ever seen him bash any brand that did not deserve it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by RoBoTeq

sorry Robin, I guess I'm not used to your backhanded humor. Is that what your doing when you defend the mutant brands? Oh, I finally got my "brown" top panel for my cust. that I requested 12/22, from my dist. and that I had to call to find out if it was in. And while I was there some "professional" contractors were replacing the blower wheel they received in brown paper wrap, while they had the trunk of their camero open. In front of the dist. Not bashing, but the brand didn't have any ties to retail service. Any guess'?

These Modulating furnace are for COMFORT.

13 stages to match your heat lost in your home.. Bald has a good chart to show it.. Also it advoids the cycling on and off, just a nice steady soft heat out of the vents.

Hey ikea; just remember; "every one who says Goodman is no good, Don't know how to install a system properly".

And the reason the Rheem/Ruud mod is a misfit is because I don't have anything to compete with it. And the reason it is a mutant is because there is no other furnace quite like it.

BUT....it still does not qualify for the DOE tax credit

Robin thats 150 bucks.... So your going to have a inferior product installed just so you can get 150 back on your taxes? Come on now. Just for fun, how many a/c systems do you have that qualify for the much higher 300 rebate?

Clearly the OP works for a company who is a price leader (lol) and doesnt sell comfort systems. And in this case, it is not for them. The market for companies like that probably will not support it either. To say its a rich mans furnace is a stretch though. It doesnt cost any more than an infinity.

Remember, There are 3 chevy dealers for every 1 cadillac.

Im a RUUD dealer and RUUD will tell you up front that this furnace is not to bump up the efficiency and they recommend telling the customer this when explaining this furnace. If you use the mod. thermostat for this furnace you have better control. If you want to turn the heat up quikly it will vamp up to the needed capacity. The ideal furnace is one that is properly sized to keep running but to keep up with the set point. This furnace gives you that. As a bonus, this furnace is as quit as it gets. You dont have to be rich to have more comfort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast