We are replacing our Trane TWE037 air handler with the TWE040 model because the 037s coil is too small for our 3 ton XL19i heat pump. Our new contractor techs were back today to deal with the refrigerant issue. They first attempted to force the R22 into the heat pump so it could be held there as it was from the factory. They tried for about half an hour and finally concluded that the heat pumps valves were going to leak no matter what they did. They said its possible that the valves were damaged when our original contractor connected the lines to the heat pump. They also said that sometimes the valves leak regardless of how well they were brazed.

So they will have to come back and recover the refrigerant later. They recommended using fresh R22 to charge the system rather than dealing with potential contamination of the original refrigerant by the reclaiming/recharging process. This sounds fine to us, but then we dont know very much.

If we are going to replace our refrigerant, does it make sense to consider an R22 substitute such as Enviro-Safe 22a? We assume that if this product worked as well as its dealers claim it would already be used by Trane. So there has to be a downside to it that is not mentioned in all the advertising about more efficiency with less electricity usage. Whats the official word on whether this product or any other substitute is worth considering?

It is very possible that the valves on your unit were overheated by the installers and that would cause them to leak and the refrigerant in the unit would then need to be recovered
    Others would probably disagree with me, but I would recover the refrigerant , install a new dryer and reuse what I had recovered .

If your unit came from the factory with r-22 in it , I would put r-22 back in it. I think that by now the TRANE company has a pretty good idea on what is best in their units

Stay with R22.

You don't see any manufacturers using that other stuff in their units, as an OEM gas.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks CT2 and Beenthere. That's about what I figured. We'll just go with R22 for now. Can the leaky valves on the heat pump be easily replaced?

Replacing the service valves requires the unit be recovered, so if you want them replaced, its best to have them done while their changing the A/H.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

when refrigerant is recovered from a system, it should be filtered in the process. They should be able to re use your refrigerant after the new A/H is installed

Get the valves replaced while your unit is being changed out, otherwise you will have a leak on the system from the start and would cause un-necessary wear of comprssor.

Be sure that they install 3/8" bi-flow drier in system either at evaporator or at condenser.DEEP vacuum is also needed if the remove service valves at least 4 hours or with micron gauge (500)..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

If I didn't put the refer in the unit or if someone else has worked on a piece of equipment. I always use virgin refer. You never know what the other person did.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.