Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Did any of you start as installers and move up to service or just started at service

I started by sweeping out the shop and washing trucks.

Senior Tech Guest

Talking

As a glint in my fathers eye

Started as installer and then went on to service. I think it was better that way being you know whats right and whats wrong with the ducting and install where some that never learned about ductwork and installing systems only know what part is bad and not what caused it. Im not sure but I think my knees would have preffered I started as a service tech.

I started working in the shop cleaning up old parts, reassembling boiler sections, parts runner and boiler install helper. Also rebuilt old pumps (True Value U-16 Vermillion paint is a direct match). Moved up to service tech and never looked back. I can still install, but prefer not to.
    R2B4BTU

Started out in an office entering workorders and catering to my "Country Club" bosses looney ideas, Helped techs in the field and drove oil truck as a back-up. Told boss I wanted to do more tech work but he wanted me to do the office thing. I ended up quitting there and went to a large HVAC company that trained me and set me out as a res. tech. Six years later I built a house in a town across the river from where I had been. Kept working for the same company until I saw an ad for an Estimator position. The company was very local and offered great pay and benefits so here I am, back in the office. Makes my job a lot better though having the technical knowledge.
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

started as a tool fetcher and grunt boy........now i own the company

commercail installer basiclly running large pipe

I went to a local Community College. We went on a field trip to Richmond sponsored by a former student and he was offering a PM tech job to any of us that was interested. The college set up all the classes the last semester on Mondays and Tuesdays with labs on Thursday. As long as you had a job in the field you didn't have to come in for the labs so I was able to work Wednesday thru Friday in the field. That guys name is Bruce Rhodes and he gave me my start. 18 months later I went to work where I'm at now and except for a 6 month stint at an in house job I've been there since.

I started out with the local school district through the work program in high school (ICT/VICA) changing filters, chasing parts, hauling chemicals to the various central plants at the bigger schools, working with the refer techs at the cafeterias, etc. Gave me a good early taste of commercial work.

I went on to in-house hotel work after high school. Started out pushing PTAC's around all day and ended up three years later working on RTU's, reach-in's, walk-ins, ice machines, as well as fixing the PTAC's rather than just pushing them around. After that I did a short stint installing resi systems in cramped, hot attics, then jumped from the frying pan to the fire by becoming a Navy snipe (steam propulsion systems) for a few years.

All that gave me a good base to be where I am now. And that's NOT in a hot, dusty, cramped attic if I can help it!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Red face Older I get, the better I get..

Started out in installs in new construction 1976 in Keller Texas. Spent the nexted 8+ years in installation,design.

Moved to Dallas and went into service and have been doing HVAC every since.

Load Calculation
    Design-Build
    Retro-Fit
    New Construction/Start-up Warranty Service
    Geo-Thermal Ground Source
    Proposals/Bids
    Sales/ Training
    Maintenance Contracts
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

sawing oak logs,splitn mup,selling to locomotives

WOW SEE THANKS GUYS.. U GUYS GIVE ME HOPE FOR MYSELF AND TEACH ME TO BE HUMBLE AND RESPECT THIS TRADE.. I LOVE THIS TRADE!!! HOW LONG DID IT TAKE TO GET YOUR 1ST JOB? I AM STILL STRUGGLING TO GET MY SEC JOB, I ONLY GOT 2 1/2 MONTHS OF INSTALL AS A HELPER .. MOSTLY HWT AND FURNACES, A/C's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast