Trane xl20i vs. xl16i heat pumps

I am in Phoenix Arizona area. Our summer temperatures sometimes go as high as 115+. I am in the process of replacing my 24 year old system and I am talking with contractors about both of the above cited 5 ton units (replacing a 5 ton unit -- for my downstairs). both contractors have suggested teaming either unit with a Hyperion air handler.

Given the extreme heat in Arizona, which unit do you think would do a better job of keeping the temperature comfortable?

Thanks.

BTUs and BTUs. Each will keep you comfortable if properly sized and on a decent duct system.

The 20i runs about 55-60% on low, the 16i runs 75-80% on low so there isn't much difference between high & low.

Numbers are similar. 16i has 55,500 BTUs cooling, notably shy of 5 tons. 52,000 BTUs of heat which is really light for a 5 ton. 16 SEER, 12.50 EER and 9 HSPF.

20i has a hair more cooling at 57K. same wimpy heating. 17 SEER, 11.50 EER and 9 HSPF.

The 20i is slightly more efficient in mild weather, the 16i having higher EER is more efficient in hot weather. Identical in heating.

So for AZ, I'd probably say the 16i from the EER standpoint and likely it will be quite a bit less $. The unloading scroll is simpler than the twin recips.

Quote Originally Posted by sea breeze View Post
    Regmoved Quote.
    You might check with sales about the integrated clean effects, though obsolete I have been able to get a few for a few systems where the clean effects was beneficial to the homeowner, though I think you would want to check performance on a match with 16 or 20i.

Good information to know, though, and I am pretty sure they want to clear these out.

As far as which one, 16i or 20i, both are great systems, the biggest concern for the homeowner is the initial cost, and how long they plan on being in the home. If you are planning on being their for a while, I would suggest XL 20i as well.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-04-2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Removed Quote

I also am a fan of the 20i, but be aware in the 5ton the 16i qualifies for the fed tax credit and as I remember the 20i does not.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

sea breeze,

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    I also am a fan of the 20i, but be aware in the 5ton the 16i qualifies for the fed tax credit and as I remember the 20i does not.
    You are correct, I did not find the 5 ton Xl 20i listed as a candidate, though 2,3, and 4 ton XL 20i are tax credit systems.

Also, 5 ton XL 20i rated at 17.75 SEER/9.00 HSPF (which is a drop in performance from the the previous match [pre-TAM]).

XL 16 5 ton rated at 16.00 SEER/9.00 HSPF.

Not much difference there. I have not looked at the specs with the TAM until now. Kind of surprised at what I saw.
    Last edited by S.T.Ranger; 12-04-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: changed my view

Quote Originally Posted by steverino100 View Post
    I am in Phoenix Arizona area. Our summer temperatures sometimes go as high as 115+. I am in the process of replacing my 24 year old system and I am talking with contractors about both of the above cited 5 ton units (replacing a 5 ton unit -- for my downstairs). both contractors have suggested teaming either unit with a Hyperion air handler.

Given the extreme heat in Arizona, which unit do you think would do a better job of keeping the temperature comfortable?

Thanks.
    After seeing the specs, I will have to cast my vote for the XL 16i.

Thanks everyone. The price differential appears to be pretty negligible. So I am looking for the system that will do the best job of keeping the house comfortable in the summer.

If I understand the information correctly, the 16 may do a better job because its non 100% stage runs at 80% vs. 50% for the 20's compressor and that means that it will be used more and run longer. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Steve

First have a manual J done, you may not need the 5 ton. If you need the 5 ton, see what can be done to reduce the load to 4 tons, more insulation, maybe a window upgrade or solar shades on those south and west windows.

Check with APS or SRP about an energy analysis being done on your home, it's only $99 bucks.

I would take the 20i over the 16i for Arizona, we deal with 120's but also many days of 90 to 105. IMHO it's a better setup for you!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by S.T.Ranger View Post
    After seeing the specs, I will have to cast my vote for the XL 16i.
    After reading the specs and the thread, my vote is for JImJ as the man to call. He would know better, being in Arizona, usual conditions of the area.