Thread: Gas Valve?

hey guys...My trane xe60 has been driving me crazy! Here is the lowdown:

Furnace stopped working and pilot wouldn't turn on consistently, so I installed a new thermocouple (3rd one in the last 6mos) and it worked temporarily..(about 12hrs)

Now it keeps on turning on and off daily. Seems like the burner and blower are fine..just the damn pilot keeps going out over and over. Also, sometimes when the burners or blower kicks in the pilot goes out also....

Any advice guys?

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...?threadid=1241

Please read the above link for our site rules. One of them is regarding helping homeowners work on their own equipment. For your safety and our liability, we can't. We suggest you call a pro. That model is notorious for having cracks in the heat exchanger which can blow out pilot.

Thanks BaldLoonie for your concern, but the thermocouple is as far as my knowledge and capabilities go! I did call 2 local service technicians..one said it was likely the gas valve, and the other recommended I replace the whole furnace..I just want an honest opinion of what the problem might be so I can proceed with the right technician...I want to make the wisest decision possible...

so any other suggestions guys?

Your fishing for a answer which you will not get here. Make the call as BaldLoonie has suggested.

I did make the call as suggested...actually twice! I just want some honest advice...

[Edited by mikey c on 02-20-2006 at 02:13 PM]

hey

Originally posted by mikey c
    I did make the call as suggested...actually twice! I just want some honest advice...

[Edited by mikey c on 02-20-2006 at 02:13 PM]
    The best advice to you would to be to contact friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, etc... ask them who they use and see if they are happy.

Because…

Unfortunately, due to site rules we as members can not discuss technical issues with the general public.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by BaldLoonie

Please read the above link for our site rules. One of them is regarding helping homeowners work on their own equipment. For your safety and our liability, we can't. We suggest you call a pro. That model is notorious for having cracks in the heat exchanger which can blow out pilot.
    What good is this site if you can't get that type of info???

I've never understood this policy. There are plenty of automobile DIY forums. There are shop manuals for automobiles. An automobile has much more potential danger than a HVAC unit! I've never heard of horrible accidents caused by home mechanics. Why would it be any different for appliance repair?

[Edited by jo8243 on 02-20-2006 at 07:23 PM]

Mod01 Guest
    Regardless of your opinion, this is NOT a DIY site.

DIY threads, questions and answers have a life of their own. What happens, if we post repair instructions that injures the person whom we thought was qualified?

We have Forum Rules not to anger you, but because they are well thought tried and true.

We all want to help, but we just can't due to the difficulties of working on the other end of the computer and safety. If we tell you, we tell everyone once it’s posted. It’s here for all to read and try.

Thanks for looking at it from our point of view.

Originally posted by jo8243
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie

What good is this site if you can't get that type of info???

I've never understood this policy. There are plenty of automobile DIY forums. There are shop manuals for automobiles. An automobile has much more potential danger than a HVAC unit! I've never heard of horrible accidents caused by home mechanics. Why would it be any different for appliance repair?

[Edited by jo8243 on 02-20-2006 at 07:23 PM]
    because of this kind of ignorance we have rules like these

Forum Rules

Please adhere to our rules or leave.

thx

site killjoy

thread closed