Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: strange system

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I have never seen this set up. Is this one OEM as ice mentioned ?
    No, the water cooled condenser was definitely added on afterwards. oddly enough, theres a second identical water cooled condenser on top of the walk-in all piped up to water and ready to go. I was thinking of running refrigerant lines from the second walk in right next to it over to the condenser so that it could have supplemental cooling too. Unfortunately thats a cap tube unit and I don't think it would get along well with all the extra charge required.

Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    How can one properly service any system without an access to the high pressure side?

Add one....
    yep......you are right, I should talk to the owner and install one.
    I just getting lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Unfortunately thats a cap tube unit and I don't think it would get along well with all the extra charge required.
    Must be a small walk-in to be using a cap tube system. I do service some Subways with Nor-Lake coolers that use cap tubes. Maybe a 6X6 box.

Sounds like a Kramer Thermobank unit to me. Thermobank unit is a single compressor that can defrost with hot gas. Been a while since I worked on one so I cant really explain to you how it works properly. But the hot discharge line heats up the water in the tank and when it goes into defrost a series of solenoids open and close and the hot gas from the compressor goes to the evaporator thru the liquid line then the condensed hot gas is routed through the hot water thru an IPR valve so liquid does not enter the compressor.

We used to build those to heat hot water

In a room filled with air cooled equipment we would pipe a water cooled condenser into the discharge line of each one and put a fan-cycling control on the condenser fan. The water through the condensers would heat a several hundred gallon tank of water which was the pre-heat for the domestic hot water heater.

So maybe that was the idea here? Where does the condenser water crom from and go to?

Although I have seen TXV bulbs in the condensate pans and on the leaving chilled water lines - they pretty much have to be attached to the suction line.

If you have them sensing box temperature and the SSH is high with the proper SC to the valve: the TXV's are wrong for the system refrigerant or defective. My vote/guess would be R-12 valves left on an R-22 or R-404 conversion job.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by markvilleman View Post
    I got a call,a walk in cooler in a convient store not cooling.found out that R short.charged to clear sight glass.the box temp cool down to 34F and cycling ok.
    Look at the system carefully,it has one comp but two condensers connected in series. One cond is water cooled,the other one ( is air cooled. One receiver downstream of the condensers. Two evap coils connected in parallel.each coil has a tev but both of the bulb not attach to the suction line but hang to sense the air.low side pressure only stay at 38psi max when the box temp at 40F. The SH was 36F at the comp, 25F at the evaps. It has no high side port to check pressure. The tevs covered with ice,but the coils were not.
    Anyway,the box temp is ok now,but this system so strange to me. Anyone has any idea? Thanks.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Northern area between Alantic and Pacific
    [QUOTE=Poodle Head Mikey;11916442]
    So maybe that was the idea here? Where does the condenser water crom from and go to?

It comes from city water and goes to the drain.

my second guess

Then my second guess is that they either guessed wrong on sizing the air cooled condenser or they found that the ambient got too warm for it at times, or they were a little lean on cooling capacity.

PHM
    ------

[QUOTE=markvilleman;11931881]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

It comes from city water and goes to the drain.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123