Thread: Heat Pump noise

Had a new bryant heat pump installed(along with new gas furnace) in Dec. This past weekend was the first time we have had realy cold temps and I have noticed that HP was a lot noisier than it had been in the past. It obviously is still working since it kept the house at 70 when outside temp was in upper teens to low 20's (wind chill in single digits). Should I be concerned with the extra noise? Any ideas what might be causing extra noise?

Thanks

Was there frost on the cabinet? That will make the fan sound much louder. Remember to keep those heat pumps clear of ice and snow!

Mine tends to be noisier when really cold. I think everything gets stiff. Not unusual. But be sure to check the cabinet like fortress said.

thanks

there was a bit of ice on the cabinet yesterday and this morning I noticed it was much quieter.

Thanks

My Carrier 38YZA is a 410A unit, and it does seem to be noiser as it gets colder. The year it was installed, as soon as it started getting a little cooler, it started making a strained, kind of laboured sort of vibration that peak just before it went into a defrost. I don't think it was set up properly right from the get go. I complained to the installation dealer and he had the Carrier rep come to my house and listen to it. Then Carrier supplied rubber mounts for the dealer to install under the compressor. It was some better after that and Carrier was installing these rubber mounts on all new heat pumps before they left the factory. Anybody else ever heard of this problem?

Thorton

Typically heat pumps are slightly noisier in heating mode than cooling mode, and slightly noisier still as the weather gets colder. Of course as it gets colder you will also have more defrosting, during which the compressor sound is typically different and more pronounced. There are also a couple of punctuated whoosh! sounds associated with the beginning and end of each defrost cycle.

Keep an eye and an ear open for the system to suddenly use more auxiliary heat than it used to, defrosting more or less than it used to, and for a change in how much frost forms on the outdoor coils between defrost cycles. Intermittent formation of a little soft, fluffy frost on the coil is OK; ice is not OK. It's got to be able to pull air through those coils!