Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why do owners

You create your own bills, we all have them. Nothing is free, You must earn your raises. Do you think someone handed us a business, Does everything you own hinge on the business, do you lay awake nights wondering about jobs bills ect. no you don't. I have almost lost everything a few times, mainly due to greedy employees who are lazy and just want a hand out. Who try to do just enough to get by. Who try to sneaksub standard work thru.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by hvac45
    You create your own bills, we all have them. Nothing is free, You must earn your raises. Do you think someone handed us a business, Does everything you own hinge on the business, do you lay awake nights wondering about jobs bills ect. no you don't. I have almost lost everything a few times, mainly due to greedy employees who are lazy and just want a hand out. Who try to do just enough to get by. Who try to sneaksub standard work thru.
    True ,but don't forget about the good/great ones.

Off topic,Mike where have you been,how are things going??

" You create your own bills, we all have them. Nothing is free, You must earn your raises. Do you think someone handed us a business, Does everything you own hinge on the business, do you lay awake nights wondering about jobs bills ect. no you don't. I have almost lost everything a few times, mainly due to greedy employees who are lazy and just want a hand out. Who try to do just enough to get by. Who try to sneaksub standard work thru. "

I'm sure your problems are more important to you....but please don't whine about your sacrifices. You made a choice just like everyone else. Time for money. It's all a trade off. I'm only willing to trade so much.

I agree, you need to "earn" a "promotion", but employees deserve an annual "raise". Employees are a cost just like trucks, fuel, tools, office paper and staples...and unfortunately cost go up. It sound like you have made some hiring mistakes, that is a risk in business. That is not my problem. If I do a good job, show up on time and work hard, I deserve an annual raise just to keep up with the cost of living. If your a business owner then I'm sure you understand that if everything you buy is going up and your pay's staying the same, your loosing money. How long are people going to continue to work (honest work) when their pay is going down? If you do not care about the (good) people you hire, then shame on you.

You are right about hiring some bad employees we all do. The cost of living raises you are right about that to. But, a good employee who goes a little above and beyond, one you can count on thru thick in thin, those are the ones you try and reward more. As a thank you for a job well done. Most employees do what they have to to make a certain amount, others are hungary, they will work hard if there is extra money to be made. Here in the South most of the guys work ethics are slow and they don't look to work hard to get ahead. It sounds like you have a bad boss now and your po'd. We have all been there.
    I pay my people very well, I have all kinds of different incintives for them to make extra money. When I find a good employee I do my best to pay him well and make sure he gets his hours.

Hey Dash, long story, bad divorce, bad year in business last year for a number of reasons, the base closure scare last spring, to key employees walked out in the middle of summer to try and start there own thing. ( They thought I taught them everything). We had a real slow Dec., Jan. this year. Building a new shop that was to take 6 months and ended up taking 2 years. Being a single Dad to an 8 year old. But, I have slowly come back, Business is great, Like everyone though, I need more installers. I met a really great Lady and thats going good, I have been working a lot more and just haven't really had time to go on here. Plus I like to be upbeat on the site. For a long time I was to absorbed in my own life. I went thru a stage where I just wanted to be alone, I am finally starting to come out of it. I didn't even think anyone would remember me to be honest. Thanks for asking.

looking at employee's like liabilities and not assets
    is not the proper way to go, you must get down to their level
    and remember where you came from unless the company was just handed to you, then you can't remember

they have bills just like you and they take your attitude to the job site and carry it all day long. ... it could be a huge weight on them worrying about bills also

when you have a boss/supervisor who can pull out a pair of coveralls, tuck his tie in his shirt and start working side by side you to get the job complete makes most employee's
    want to be as good as him with his can do attitude

had one of these and am i grateful, want to base my work and attitude on him

if he asked me to stand on my head and spit wooden nickels i
    would

ever look at one of your employee's and say [****] he's smarter than me
    only to let him leave to become your competition
    why didn't i make him a partner, was it pride or arogance

the way i see it i am going to surround myself with as many as these people and grab their shirt tails and hold on for the ride

once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

#1 partnerships don't work, #2 if an employee wants to buy stock in the company I would sell it, so they have a stake in it, But I won't give it away, they can earn it just like I did. I started my company with nothing so to speak. I haven't worn a tie since 1977, I am in the field at least 6 hours a day, I have a few techs and installers that know things I don't, just like I know things that they don't. When you pool that knowledge without ego's going on that is true teamwork. That is what we have here. It is hard work owning a company, ask anyone who does, But, I do know the bosses you are talking about, I have been in the trade for almost 34 years, I finally quit doing on call 2 years ago, however, my phone is always on and my guys know day or night if they need me I will be there. I have had guys quit annd try to steal my business, they tried thier own thing, none have succeded yet, As long as a guy doesn't try to steal my customers I think it is great for them to try and get ahead. There is plenty of business out there for everyone here.

#1 partnerships don't work, #2 if an employee wants to buy stock in the company I would sell it, so they have a stake in it, But I won't give it away, they can earn it just like I did. I started my company with nothing so to speak. I haven't worn a tie since 1977, I am in the field at least 6 hours a day, I have a few techs and installers that know things I don't, just like I know things that they don't. When you pool that knowledge without ego's going on that is true teamwork. That is what we have here. It is hard work owning a company, ask anyone who does, But, I do know the bosses you are talking about, I have been in the trade for almost 34 years, I finally quit doing on call 2 years ago, however, my phone is always on and my guys know day or night if they need me I will be there. I have had guys quit annd try to steal my business, they tried thier own thing, none have succeded yet, As long as a guy doesn't try to steal my customers I think it is great for them to try and get ahead. There is plenty of business out there for everyone here.
    You hit it on the head!! As long as the OWNERS and EMPLOYEES realize that there is no "I" in team, you have a winning formula.
    In honor of Murray Woodgate (aka Carnak) 1961 - 2010

I didn't even think anyone would remember me to be honest. Thanks for asking.
    Heck ya, lots a people wondered about you, it was kind-a gay.

I used to sit and dream about moving North to Beauford.

Mackinaw, this guy (45) and Dash appear to be the real deal, in terms of being good or at the very least fair employers.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

I can vouch for Dash anyway.

secorp;

I must have gotten the wrong impression by reading quotes like this....

"But, a good employee who goes a little above and beyond, one you can count on thru thick in thin, those are the ones you try and reward more. As a thank you for a job well done."

I'm sorry but my bank only takes money, praise is nice when deserved but won't feed the family. You either reward your people who help you succeed or you don't. Do you charge your customers money for your services or is just a thank you enough to keep your business going?

In defense of hvac45 I did see comments like this;

"The cost of living raises you are right about that to."

"I pay my people very well, I have all kinds of different incintives for them to make extra money."

Here is my favorite;

" Here in the South most of the guys work ethics are slow and they don't look to work hard to get ahead." (What year is this, 1950?) You must be joking right?

FDange- NIce work keep it up

RESPECT what does it mean to me the worker whom by my sheer hard work my employer enjoys great profits riding on my back. without me he does not have a business without customers he does not have a buasiness

we are a key part of the equation

respect to me means $$$$$$$$$$$$$ its what we are all here for to respect me is to pay me well you don't want to share some of those profits with me then I will find some one else whom will
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

By rewards I meant more money, and yes sometimes I wonder if we are still in the 50's here, I have worked all over the county, and this is by far the worst I have seen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast