Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: why do owners

why do owners try to cheap out on paying key people in their organizations.... with trust and loyalty so hard to find out there... when one of your key persons starts looking for something better its more than likely a dollar or two is not going to satisfy them after they find out their potential market value, myself i would feel like a friend had cheated me and my family an employer/employee relationship is like a marriage ... the trust would be gone like me!!
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

what planet do you live on?? its a buisiness relationship and as long as each party does what is expected of each other thats where it should end. are you telling me you sleep with your boss??

You say once you figure out your potental value, that you wouldnt stay around at a dollar or two raise once you figure out what you are potentally worth. You say trust and loyalty is hard to find out there, your right. So now that you feel your worth so much more , you have no loyalty or trust with your boss? I never looked at what your experiance is so Im not sure how KEY you are to there business. You hear that a lot from guys that have been there for 1-2 years, Who is key is in the eyes of the beholder. How often do you see someone upset that the boss that has been doing it for years is making a lot of money and the new guy is upset he isnt making as much.

Not saying some bosses do not pay less then they should but some do the best they can with what is really being made. Most techs realize there are a lot of cost to the business that are not seen and just being they are billing out 100- 175 an hour, its not always going in the owners pocket. Oh and being you say the only way you can make money in a residental company is COCK ROACHING as you call it, at night on the side. Where is that loyalty and trust you talk of ......... from that your not a key person in that shop, your just a tech looking out for whats best for you. thats ok tho , you got to do what you have to do....so has your boss.

[Edited by dec on 02-21-2006 at 10:24 PM]

Senior Tech Guest
    The bottom line is..........the bottom line.

Friendships are here and...................Gross margins are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over here.

Business is Business ans Friendship is Bullsh*t

money first everything else is second

i hope as i set out to make it on my own i hope i don't let my own greed get in the way of my morals and common sense

key people = people who work and strive to help to grow
    [ YOUR ] business
    if you don't have these key people in place how do become
    the world champs or do you get lumped in with rest of the schmucks out there that can pass the exam

nobody is indispensable to a company not even the owner
    but in that respect it makes it easier to grow and build a reputation for performance by having these people

why in the world would you train someone and spend thousand
    and then let them walk out to your competition or become your competition

they have a stake in how the company preforms and most just have pride in what they do

cockroaching = those are [MY COSTUMERS ] refer to me by family and friends and word of mouth from previous costumers as i am reliable and honest they are willing to wait for next day service or next weekend which ever may be the case.... are you saying i should have turned them over to my employer for his profit

integrity = when i was on the job for my employer you could not get me to do it on the side

these are all the qualitys that you will find in [MOST] techs. but when you as an owner purvey a feeling of distrust and that they are nothing but a dime a dozen well i guess all bets are off

make it the best employer to work for

most owners, not all, use words like team and theres no I in team just m and e
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

come back and post you findings after you are on your own for a few years

i would bet your outlook on a lot of things will change

remember the grass is always greener on the other side

i left the big red H after twelve years of service under that premise. I was doing most selling of mechanicals systems and services in our branch. I was pm'ing boiler and chiller installs because the management types couldnt handle it. I was also a service tech(fitter) who took care of three of the most lucritive, high visibility accounts, and was one of two techs in the shop who could be called to service any account after hours. most other fitters there could only do pneumatics and light air conditioning. For all of this initially I was paid very hansomely including quarterly bonuses. Then one day i was told all was gone due to new configuration of the hierarchy. they wanted me to do more for less pay. I was already working upwards of seventy hours per week. I informed them that i was looking for a new job and would be leaving within a month or sooner and they had better get someone else in place. Upon my leaving date they wished me well and informed me they could get another member from the union who would fill my shoes easily. Six months later they were calling and emailing begging for me to come back at all the original perks. NOT HAPPENING. I am now an owner and treat my people very well, including a completely open policy about jobs, customer issues and finances. I make no bones about the fact that most of the profit will be mine for taking the risks associated with payroll etc, but there is always something there when needed for keeping the men happy.

why in the world would you train someone and spend thousand
    and then let them walk out to your competition or become your competition .....

It was said here before "What if you don't train them and they stay"

nobody is indispensable to a company not even the owner

Dirty, you have a "Right Stuff" in my opinion! good luck!

1st of all, most people think an owner owes them more money just because they are there. Just once I would like someone to come to me and lay something in front of me and say to me, here's what I did for you last year or whatever time, I improved this or that, I increased production or sales or service, something. Therefore I think I deserve a raise. Just once I would like to see that. You know what? I would probably give him more than he was asking. How many of you have ever approached your boss that way? I'll bet next to none.

"I improved this or that, I increased production or sales or service, something. Therefore I think I deserve a raise. Just once I would like to see that."

Well Mr. Business owner, when you go to the store do you expect your milk and bread to be "improved or more efficient" just because it cost more?

Well.... employee cost go up just like "everything" else. I know we have a lot of nerve to expect to be able to feed our loved ones. Greed is wrong, please remember that when your employees expect a little more each year.

How about we just lay our bills in front of you, and then you can decide how much spending money we deserve.

Greed, Greed, Greed....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast