Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why did my installer placed a governor on my thermostat

This is my first post, so I hope it's in the right spot. Let me start out by saying I chose the wrong independent contractor to install my new American Standard gas pack at my home. I no longer trust them at all, and have to pester them to death to get them out to the house at all.

Anyway, a couple of days after installation, I noticed that my AC wouldn't go below 67 on the thermostat. I called the owner of the company the next day to ask why, and he admitted to setting a minimum temperature on the thermostat when it was installed (beyond that, they have avoided to the best of their ability giving me an owner's manual for the thermostat). When I asked why he set a min. temp, he said that the new refrigerant can cause damage if the unit runs too cold.

When I called American Standard's tech support, the man told me the minimum suggested operating temp. was 55 degrees, and they had never heard of an installer setting a minimum temp. I of course had them come out and take the governor off the thermostat, but I'm still baffled by why they would do this in the first place. I've found my installer to have questionable ethics, and I'm concerned about any possible motive for doing this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds with ideas about this... I honestly know very little about this stuff.

We regularly set parameters on the programmable thermostats we install. We sell air conditioners and furnaces, not freezers and ovens. Operating standard home comfort system equipment way outside the actual intended design criteria is just asking for problems. Can't think of any manufacturer who would actually even suggest that 55 degrees for residential cooling equipment is reasonable.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by mahlv View Post
    Removed Quote.
    Mahlv, This is the AOP forum and you need the * along with professional membership in order to reply to questions in this forum. Refer to the links in my signature for further information.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-02-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Chris, my GMC won't do but 100 mph and the motor shuts down, is this fair for GM to do this? I personally don't think so, but I just write it off as they do it for some reason, safety, or maybe to keep the motor from blowing up, sometimes folks look at what they are doing as a thing that is supposed to help/benefit us. Just because they did what they did, don't mean they were wrong, it's just part of their whole package, but IMO they should have let you know up front, because in my world in Houston this is not the norm, but then again I don't condemn it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    We regularly set parameters on the programmable thermostats we install. We sell air conditioners and furnaces, not freezers and ovens. Operating standard home comfort system equipment way outside the actual intended design criteria is just asking for problems. Can't think of any manufacturer who would actually even suggest that 55 degrees for residential cooling equipment is reasonable.
    They must of have thought the homeowner meant outside ambient limit being 55 degrees.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

American Standard/Trane say minimum outdoor temp running their A/Cs without evap defrost stat or low ambient kit is 55. Others want higher. Rheem says don't run below 70 without fan cycle kit which is a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc View Post
    This is my first post, so I hope it's in the right spot. Let me start out by saying I chose the wrong independent contractor to install my new American Standard gas pack at my home. I no longer trust them at all, and have to pester them to death to get them out to the house at all.

Anyway, a couple of days after installation, I noticed that my AC wouldn't go below 67 on the thermostat. I called the owner of the company the next day to ask why, and he admitted to setting a minimum temperature on the thermostat when it was installed (beyond that, they have avoided to the best of their ability giving me an owner's manual for the thermostat). When I asked why he set a min. temp, he said that the new refrigerant can cause damage if the unit runs too cold.

When I called American Standard's tech support, the man told me the minimum suggested operating temp. was 55 degrees, and they had never heard of an installer setting a minimum temp. I of course had them come out and take the governor off the thermostat, but I'm still baffled by why they would do this in the first place. I've found my installer to have questionable ethics, and I'm concerned about any possible motive for doing this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds with ideas about this... I honestly know very little about this stuff.
    Your installing dealer had actually did you a favor by setting the indoor temperature low limit at 67 degrees. Low ambient temperatures indoors without protection to prevent the coil from freezing and no superheat to protect the compressor from damage can be costly to repair to say the least.

The 55 degrees that tech support was referring to was the lowest outdoor temperature that the system from the factory can operate at without additional protection added.

Thanks for all your replies. I feel better now... the lowest I ever run the AC is 65. Do you think that's a safe temperature to run?

the lowest I ever run the AC is 65. Do you think that's a safe temperature to run?
    O yea that's safe, especially if you have a hot GF or Wife, sometimes we need to.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    They must of have thought the homeowner meant outside ambient limit being 55 degrees.

Thanks for all your replies. I feel better now... the lowest I ever run the AC is 65. Do you think that's a safe temperature to run?
    That's probably the minimum temp limit I would have set on your thermostat during the install. 67 seems like such an odd number to choose... but then I prefer nice numbers divisible by 5.

I read it wrong, indoor temp limit 67. Much colder you'll freeze her up. You may get by with 65 depending upon airflow. We started installing a stat with limits. I've set the cooling at 65 before to protect the equipment from tampering fingers like kids. Or people that think setting it to 60 will cool the house faster.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I read it wrong, indoor temp limit 67. Much colder you'll freeze her up. You may get by with 65 depending upon airflow. We started installing a stat with limits. I've set the cooling at 65 before to protect the equipment from tampering fingers like kids. Or people that think setting it to 60 will cool the house faster.
    So true.

if you set the thermostat at 60 and the unit freezes up then when the contractor comes and thaws it out I'll bet you get mad when he hands you a bill . I set the thermostat at 65 for cooling and 80 for heat never had a complaint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast