Thread: duct design

duct design

Hey im looking for away to leran how to become a better installer. I am a service guy and have been for 10 years. But suck at designing a hvac system. I have a pretty good idea on air flow but just starting a rough in or design i suck. I have done some installs but never from the begining. Where can i get better training or help.

Getting your ducts in a row

Lurch12
    I applaud your eagerness to improve your skills. First of all, I suggest you become profficient in room by room load calculations. The industry standard is ACCA Manual J. Buy the book and the software. I recommend Elite. Then learn how to use the load to select your equipment, covered in Manual S. Next, use Manual D to learn the process of professional duct design. Once you have the principles in your head, you can go back to Elite and use the ductsize tool to perfect the process. Along the way you will want to study Manual T for terminal selection.

It all starts with ACCA. You can buy all the Manuals in a set and save a few dollars. Good luck and maintain your passion for excellence.

How to...

One way to start learning...............

1. Go look at what other people are doing. Go to subdivisions, new commercial buildings etc. Wherever someone is putting in some duct or a unit. Go look. Take some pictures. Look at every home, building whatever. After a few thousand surveys () you will start to see trends in installation practices that were implemented through the years.
    Learn what is acceptable.
    Learn what is considered "hackery"
    Learn what craftsmanship looks like.
    The more you look the more you will "learn" what to learn.

2. Talk, then talk to anyone who will listen to you.

Good luck, you can do it. I did.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    Energy efficient and economical to operate are not synonyms
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Cool ill just keep reading and looking

For duct sizing I would suggest SMACNA HVAC Systems Duct Design Manual, then get yourself a ductulator.

Remember, it's not the size of the duct that determines the CFM of the unit, it's total external static pressure. Do the calculations to determine the total external pressure drop, with a wet coil, and verify against mfr.s fan curves. Follow good design practices to ensure velocity in ducts are per industry standards, and above, and you will master it know time. Sizing ducts is stone simple.

I would caution against reviewing what's out there as a guide. Way too many systems are poorly designed.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

THE KEY CONCEPT IS

Quote Originally Posted by lurch12 View Post
    Hey im looking for away to leran how to become a better installer. I am a service guy and have been for 10 years. But suck at designing a hvac system. I have a pretty good idea on air flow but just starting a rough in or design i suck. I have done some installs but never from the begining. Where can i get better training or help.
    Like Gibby said, it's about pressure not velocity. Just remember that the fan "sucks and blows" so if there is too much suck then there won't be enough for the blow. Of course we could start a riot and talk about high or low return registers but for now let's stick to the fundamentals.
    You can use my contact info that includes a cell # if you want to talk a little more
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

In Houston be very careful about looking at new subdivision installs, be very very careful.
    Saddle Up!

hey sorry its a late response been busy at work. its that time of year thanks for the ideas. Im always up for ideas and learning thanks again

Oh ya one more thing i do service so i agree 100% about proper design. i just want to learn how on my own and have the ideas.