This is a great source of info that I have been learning from for a while now.

My a/c seems to be cycling on for about 5 minutes, off for a few and then back on. I leave the thermostat at 78 for a/c when we are home.

This is a vacation home for me and gets used about 10-12 weeks per year. The thermostat is set at 82 degrees when unoccupied. House is about 1800 sq ft.

My home in the Tampa area came with a homeowners warranty when I purchased it. After the 2nd recharge of freon in 5 months, I pushed the tech to find the leak. He said the coil was bad and the warranty co. replaced my air handler with a Payne PF1MNB042000. The heat pump was made by International Comfort Products, model # NHP042AKA1. I believe this is original from 1989.

I have read many recent comments about mismatched systems and wonder if this could be the problem here? The tech the warranty co. sent out did not impress me, but I was not aware of a forum like this where I could learn about how I should have handled this replacement.

I am looking for ideas on whether the heat pump and a/h can function correctly together, what are the ratings on the new a/h I was sold and if it will be a good match with a new heat pump (Payne?) or if I need to start over.

Your concern seems to be the system is short cycling. Going strictly by the model numbers you gave, it would appear the condenser and coil are matched, capacity wise. That's a superficial view, being I don't have the data on those two components handy.

Let's grant that the indoor and outdoor sections are compatible. The complaint is short cycling. Typically, that is a sign of an oversized system. The unit kicks on and knocks the temperature down fast and then shuts off. Concurrently, an oversized system usually dehumidifies poorly. This is because it does not run long enough to remove sufficient moisture from the air.

Even though you only occupy this house maybe twelve weeks max per year, you sound like you're in a frame of mind to have a system that works properly. That being the case, dump the home warranty clowns and get a good heat load calculation done on the place. If the results show your equipment is oversized, you'll then go into investigating a new system with some foreknowledge.

We bought a house recently, The realtor by obligation had to offer us a home warranty. We were not under obligation to take it. I looked at her and said no thanks. Once she learned what I did for a living she couldn't blame us for passing the warranty up. Bottom line, the warranty companies are out to make money. If they can get by with hiring hacks who do half-ass repairs, so be it. More dough in the pocket.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    What time of the year does it short cycle?

Are you ever there when it's 95??

I have been there when it is 95 and humid. The short cycling seems to occur at all times of year when the a/c is running. It is not that often that I run it in the winter, but I have had some occasion to run in winter due to humidity more than temperature.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If it short cycles at 95 ,and maintains the indoor temp of 78 or less,it's oversized.

You maybe able to match the newer indoor unit to a 2.5 or 3 ton outdoor unit.Load calculation should be done first.

Check with your electric utility some of them have low cost programs to "audit" your home.

Thanks for the response. I will try the electric co. to see if they offer the audit. Then I will try to choose a reliable service co., the one the warranty co. sent was marginal at best.

Sounds like your warranty company shorted you by allowing a mismatch unless they were replaced with the same that came out. If your system was matched properly and they selected a mismatch, I would start with a few phone calls. If there has been significant time and you are just now bringing it up, you probably will not get far.

There has been about a year since we had the a/h replaced. I did not opt to continue with the warranty co. due to the fact that I was very disappointed with the service co. they used.

I hope the electric co. and a quality tech can help with the short cycle and possible mis match.

I will repost after my contact with these people.

Thanks for all the advice.