Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doing a new spec house which has an unconditioned attached garage.I insulated inside of the trunk line but not the 6" pipe runs to upstairs floor registers. They run 3" above the bottom of the joist and I,ve never had a problem with inspectors allowing the batting to act as the barrier. This guy says it's not enough and wants the pipe wrapped before the batting is installed. Anyone familiar with the code on this Its in Lake co Ill. Just moved to this area 4 weeks ago and when I call the zoning dept I get reffered to the inspector How nice!

Since he is the agency having jurisdiction, insulate the pipe. Maybe after you have been in the area a while, and establish your credentials, you could address the item again.

yep

I,m going in there tommorrow to do it.No other choice other than to appeal.Which would hold up the $ and p/o the gc Word gets around fast out here. Thanks

Dunno what the code calls for in your "neck of the woods", but I would wrap 'em.

Down here in the humid south things like sweating ducts and mold are serious issues.

Forget the code and inspector......I would want them wrapped if it were me.

What if the HO runs the blower after the compressor shuts off and the re-evaporation of the moisture on the coil condenses on cold duct surface? Drippy drippy.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

the standards are pretty high around here. don't bother appealing.... just wrap it and move on. welcome to the area.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Any contractor that doesn't appeal is yellow. I would appeal just to make a statement even if I didn't win.

That is why our trade has no rights.....because contractors have no balls.

Give me the phone number for all your concerns and I will call YOUR inspector myself. I ain't scared. You can stay anonymous and still get results.....how bout that?

Think I am just blowing smoke?
    Read this:
    http://www.hobb.org/hobbv2/index.php...731&Itemid=400

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 02-19-2006 at 04:26 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Steve, did you appoint yourself as the overseer for all? Why would he want you calling and pissing off the inspector? Read his post. He is new to the area. Give him a chance to build his own rapport. Knowing which battles to fight is a sign of maturity. Most of us don't have your luxury of being able to appeal things and then go back later and do what was indicated the first time. If you feel so strongly about appealing, why would you hide behind anonimity?

troy - just trying to stick up for the contractors that can't or won't stand up for themselves. We won't ever have any rights if we don't fight for them.

Steve, did you move from Texas to Ill? Its a whole different animal up here in North country where codes are concerned. Appears OP stated Ill.
    cf, most of Ill is under the IRC, if so then yes you must insulate, since the Code states duct insulation stands on its own and you can't rely on insulaters to do your job. This way if they miss something it won't affect your supply ducts and possibly create a condensing situation. I have this arguement with contractors all the time and also have a copy of a lawsuit I carry to show them what happens when the insulation is missed. The little cost involved isn't worth the headache later if a problem creeps up. I don't have the exact section with me at the moment but if you need it e-mail me and I'll send it to you tomorrow.
    Vern
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Originally posted by vern p
    Steve, did you move from Texas to Ill? Its a whole different animal up here in North country where codes are concerned. Appears OP stated Ill.
    It's the same price on my cell phone to call Ill as it is my next door neighbor. I don't understand why a contractor wouldn't want me to erradicate inspections in their area.

How is it that the inspect dept. can charge a fee for services never rendered and send a bill in the mail but they never can seem to mail out the green tags? Hmmmmm how does that work?

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins

How is it that the inspect dept. can charge a fee for services never rendered and send a bill in the mail but they never can seem to mail out the green tags? Hmmmmm how does that work? [/B]
    After I've won my suit against the contractor that hacked my furnace install, I am going to send a request for a refund from the state for the fee I paid for the inspector, who told me everything looked okay, after he strolled through the building. Apparently, the inspector failed to notice that the two 3" ducts attached to the furnace, were joined together by a Y, and then progressed into a hacked 3" concentric with a 2" central pipe.

whats the big deal? just insulate the pipes and call it a day. next time you know the code and rap them first.
    once the inspector knows you and see you will do things to code he will work with you on more inportant things like emergency replacements before permits

i agree with the inspector. the pipes should be rapped
    better safe then sorry later if they sweat and cause mold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast