Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

I am an HVAC/R contractor but lack knowledge in IAQ issues, so I'm hoping you great guys can help me out. Here's the problem; I smoke and my wife nags constantly. I am redecorating the family room and and only now see all the nicotine stains and crud that my smoking causes. (It's quite disgusting, but NO, I'm not ready to quit smoking!) I have a Honeywell 20x25x4 media filter coupled to Heil 90+ 2 stage, variable blower furnace with twin lamp UV downstream from A/C coil. I am thinking of putting in an electronic air cleaner. Here are the questions:
    1) Should the EAC be up stream or down stream from the filter?
    2) Should I discard or keep the media filter with an EAC?
    3) What is the best EAC?
    4) What CFM should blower be set to on manual fan for best efficiency?
    Thanks in advance for your help 'cos I can't take the nagging anymore! (Replies suggesting getting rid of the wife need not be posted;- it is not financially viable!)

I recommend the Dynamic EAC. Remove the Honeywell filter & just use the Dynamic exclusively. No need to worry about adjusting the air flow at the AHU due to the outstanding design of the Dynamic.
    WHY?

American standard is coming out withthe Accuclean system. supposedly it's super. Also saw a media and EAC in one box I,ll post when i get the name

Sorry that single box system is UV and Media.And it's kind of pricey.

How about the Aprilaire 5000? Hybrid between a media and an EAC. Got tons of em out there and no complaints to speak of (Actually more like a few dozen). Maintenance between them and the Honeywell is miles apart. Once/twice a year filter changes and a gingerly cleaning of the EAC components, definately done by professionals, is about it. Research Products dealt with a recent recall with impressive expediency, IMO. A responsible company and a solid product.

Do the Aprilaire 5000 make a zapping noise?

I don't suggest the EAC itself, they are a pain to keep up.

Either stay with a good media filter, or upgrade to the April Aire 5000.

outstanding design of the Dynamic?

you must be kidding.

You think you could've designed something better or are you just being argumentative?
    WHY?

flat panel 1"?
    face velocity equals duct velocity?

how do you trap particulate when you don't slow the air down across a larger surface area (via conventioanl pleated design)?

...figures these smoke-n-mirrors dudes can't produce any reasonable ASHRAE ratings.
    figures.

A sad industry! Fresh air ventilation is the most important. Ventilate when occupied! You can not filter your way out. Best exhaust from smoking area. Do make-up on the air handler. If green grass climate, maintain <50%RH during wet time of the add. TB

Personally, I have yet to see a EAC do the job right. Most EAC's are concentrating at a level of micron debris which is irrelevant to the consumer. If you truly wish to control the smoke out of your home, it has to be done with HEPA, since smoke is one of the smallest particles.

There is a product on the market with the name of Cimatec, it is electronic but it does have HEPA capabilities at a fraction of the cost. http://www.cimatec.com Media replacements are done 4 times a year on it, it is much better in a side by side comparison with Dynamic. The only issue I have with this product is the very very trace byproduct of ozone it produces. However slight or trace level, it is still there, although nowhere near the products such Ecoquest or such garbage such as that.

However, true HEPA filtration is done with a product by the name of IQ Air. The only one partnered with the American Lung Association. The only one we recommend to our customers for a whole house system or room units.

Thanks for your input

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies. I will research this a bit more deeply. The Cimatec might be a good candidate. I was tempted to buy a Honeywell F300E today but thought I should read all your posts first. Glad I did. Unfortunately there seems to be little agreement between you as to best solution. Yes, exhaust and make up air would be best, but I don't want to heat the New Jersey atmosphere thanks.Depending on the price, I will probably try the Cimatec and see how well it works (if the nagging reduces it is working!)I will post the results. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast