units on slanted roofs!!

I would have taken a picture but my camera phone picture quality sucks.

The condenser had to've been atleast at a 20 degree incline. Have y'all ever seen rooftop installs like this?

you mean like this? I was hoping that the access panel would be at the "platform" there, but it's not. installer need to be shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Was the unit on a stand and level or was is sitting at a angle on a roof curb

Technically, it's still level if it follows the roof pitch...just a matter of perspective after that.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by darkbeekeeper View Post
    Was the unit on a stand and level or was is sitting at a angle on a roof curb

no it wasn't level, lol. it was consistent with the slant of the roof, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cqBQ7m149k

we seriously can't compete with the AC installer and servicemen from asia. I've seen some crazy stuffs done...
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Dumb question maybe but.... aren't those baby package units inefficient as hell? OK for some small business but on your home?
    Watching 'Eye in the sky's' video reminded me of being fired for refusing unsafe resi work years ago. Some poor b*stard who really needs the dough will take the chance though, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    you mean like this? I was hoping that the access panel would be at the "platform" there, but it's not. installer need to be shot.
    There's one installed like that on a home not far from here.
    A few differences- absolutey no room to stand in front of unit, it's a fairly steep roof, it's on the 2nd floor & if you set your extension ladder up like that, it would be in the swimming pool. I drove by there one time & there was a tech up there working on it. Panels were off & he was laying across the top of the unit w/ his head upside down trying to diagnose that thing while running. I wish I had the camera that day.

resi service

I've always done almost exclusively commercial and industrial, too many times I've wanted to wring a residential client's neck. Once to get into an attic I had wrestle my extension ladder into a totally white bedroom and closet. Inside, the closet was filled with women's clothing that looked like they cost more than my truck. Spent hours wrapping everything in cloth, did all work in my socks and managed to leave only one small mark inside the closet on a wall. This miserable woman, like clockwork, called my office and refused to pay for the service call because her walls 'were ruined'. Sigh. She was jewish but thankfully so was my boss, he told her in hebrew to shove it and pay up or else 'see you in court'. It just isn't worth the grief, how do resi guys do it?

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

That one is easy to service.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Now this one on the other hand, the picture was taken from the neighbors roof two stories below. I don't think anyone is going to carry a ladder through the neighbors house and then onto his roof to service someone else's unit.

Notice the professional drain line, in Philly condensate runs up hill, because we are special.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by deerwhistle View Post
    I've always done almost exclusively commercial and industrial, too many times I've wanted to wring a residential client's neck. Once to get into an attic I had wrestle my extension ladder into a totally white bedroom and closet. Inside, the closet was filled with women's clothing that looked like they cost more than my truck. Spent hours wrapping everything in cloth, did all work in my socks and managed to leave only one small mark inside the closet on a wall. This miserable woman, like clockwork, called my office and refused to pay for the service call because her walls 'were ruined'. Sigh. She was jewish but thankfully so was my boss, he told her in hebrew to shove it and pay up or else 'see you in court'. It just isn't worth the grief, how do resi guys do it?
    You do what you have to do to put food on the table.

Check out OSHA! Fall protection is becoming a huge deal with them and the fines to a company are HUGE. Anybody working on anything that's off the ground needs to be aware! What used to be acceptable to the inspectors is not becoming unacceptable to the feds. We just lost a contract with a church because we refused to service a rooftop unit that was within 4-feet of the roofline until they had fall protection installed. We would have settled for just a lug installed for a rope and harness but they didn't think it was necessary! And they're right, it isn't, UNTIL someone takes too big of a back step and ends up on the asphalt below! If you wouldn't service a unit because you're afraid of dropping your meter and having it smash, then better think about your bones and how they'll react to the sudden stop at the bottom of the fall!!