Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

30" Baseboard Registers

I'm a homeowner looking to replace some ugly 30" triangular baseboard registers in my home. The problem? I can't seem to find anyone that sells them. I figured this would be a simple one for a pro (hopefully). FWIW, converting them to another size is more difficult then it should be as someone along the way modified the subfloor and the carpet is cut around them. If it were just baseboard trim I would have swapped them out long ago.

Thanks,
    Andy

I'm not understanding what you have when you call it "triangular baseboard". I am deducing from what you wrote that it is a forced water system and the baseboard was installed for a hardwood floor and someone ran wall-to-wall carpeting over the hardwood to the outside walls, thus cutting of the air circulation through the baseboard convector.

There have been many manufacturers of baseboard over the years. That which is sized as #30 might be Slant Fin baseboard. FYI, their #15 baseboard puts out the same Btu's per lineal foot, is somewhat shorter in height and if you replaced the old #30 with #15 your installer should be able to raise the #15 high enough to meet the old finish height of the #30 and at the same time, restore the space underneath to allow for better air circulation.

Absent a photo, I'm just guessing but if my mental picture is accurate, then so is my solution. Good luck.

How about 2 Hart&Cooley 406 15" baseboard registers side by side to make 30".
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    I'm not understanding what you have when you call it "triangular baseboard". I am deducing from what you wrote that it is a forced water system and the baseboard was installed for a hardwood floor and someone ran wall-to-wall carpeting over the hardwood to the outside walls, thus cutting of the air circulation through the baseboard convector.

There have been many manufacturers of baseboard over the years. That which is sized as #30 might be Slant Fin baseboard. FYI, their #15 baseboard puts out the same Btu's per lineal foot, is somewhat shorter in height and if you replaced the old #30 with #15 your installer should be able to raise the #15 high enough to meet the old finish height of the #30 and at the same time, restore the space underneath to allow for better air circulation.

Absent a photo, I'm just guessing but if my mental picture is accurate, then so is my solution. Good luck.
    Not forced water, forced air. They're your standard run of the mill baseboard registers (maybe diffusers is a better word). HVAC duct comes up through the floor and the triangular register sits on it. Normally they're 15" (I've seen 18", and 24" as well). These 2 in my house are 30". When I say the subfloor is been changed around them, I really mean the old hardwood just as you say.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg. I want the exact same thing except 30"

Thanks,
    Andy
    Last edited by svcguy0718; 12-01-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: fixed link

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    How about 2 Hart&Cooley 406 15" baseboard registers side by side to make 30".
    I'm currently doing that in one of the 2 rooms that have these. Problem there is that puts a bunch of sheetmetal directly in the center of the duct and sort of cuts of the airflow and makes an annoying whistling sound.

Thanks,
    Andy

Did you try cutting out the bottom of each at the center.
    Contractor locator map

Did you try cutting out the bottom of each at the center.
    As much as I could without damaging the front. Also when you put the 2 15" together, a lot of the air is forced out the sides instead of directly out the front. The other room has the semi-original 30", so I know someone made them at one time.

Lima may have made 30"ers.
    Contractor locator map

Hart and Cooley make them in 4 foot. If the ones you have are not dented and bent, you might have them powdercoated.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Lima may have made 30"ers.
    I looked up their product catalog online and didn't see any. I've seen on a couple different sites a 30" x 6" triangular register. I'm not really inclined to go any bigger as these things are unsightly enough. Is a 30" register really that uncommon? I may be forced to go with wood ones so I can build one that looks nice, but that would probably be more money than I'd care to spend on registers.

I was hoping there was a contractor or installer out there that may know where I can get such an item.

Thanks,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Hart and Cooley make them in 4 foot. If the ones you have are not dented and bent, you might have them powdercoated.
    In this case it would be a bit like polishing a turd, and I'm not a big fan of turds in general.

Thanks,
    Andy

30" is unheard of in a new house today.
    Contractor locator map

30" is unheard of in a new house today.
    I found 14,18,24, and 48 no 30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast