+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Altitude the correction factor of specific heat?

Post Likes

I was disappointed

It gave some good advice on adjusting the Fan (not ecm or vfd) but only said that the "constant was not constant and didn't continue the thought.

There is a remarks email for the site, so I will reach out to them when I get a chance. unless you do it first

MIKE
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Great Info guys but my head is completely swimming. Going back to the original question, If I am installing the furnace and I want to measure the amount of BTU's it is outputing taking into account my elevation what do I need to do? An example with numbers would be great. Can we use a 900 ft elevation? Thanks very much.

Post Likes

With 900 ft of elevation

There is not enough difference to make a difference IMO
    The margin of error in measuring low quanities of air is greater than the adjustments
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billrae93 View Post
    Great Info guys but my head is completely swimming. Going back to the original question, If I am installing the furnace and I want to measure the amount of BTU's it is outputing taking into account my elevation what do I need to do? An example with numbers would be great. Can we use a 900 ft elevation? Thanks very much.
    ACCA has the most detailed information on altitude and correction factors that us "simple minded" techs can understand. Bulletin 2008-01 written by Hank Rutowski is one. Another one is this ancient thing written a few years ago.

Here is a simple ACF chart

"I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    No correction factor is needed for 900 feet.

Post Likes
    There is enough information in "all" of the posts for you to do your own equations.Good luck.

Post Likes
    Once again, thanks for all of your help. I have seen that no correction is needed for anything under 2000 feet. My whole point for these questions is that there is a company that has software that says it calculates all this for you. I am trying to determine what formulas they are using. The closest I have been able to come to their results is to average the supply and return air densities. If I am below 2000 sq ft I still need to take in to account the air temperature, correct?

Post Likes
    Sorry for the multiple replys. If I am at 900ft elevation and testing a furnace, I can use the standard formula of 1.08 X CFM X Delta T? With out messing with Air Density based on temp at all?

Post Likes
    Yes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post

Now, given that there is no boundary work being done by the air in our closed air loop, and that at steady state the volume of air in the house is constant, why are we using Cp (0.24btu/lb*°F ) in our equations rather than Cv (0.172btu/lb*°F)?
    Were you saying that you should use .172 instead of .24 or was this an actual question? I am trying to understand this but failing. If I use the standard formula 1.08 X CFM X Delta T I get a btu output. If I use the specific volume of the return drop air X .24 X 60 I get a BTUH of roughly 2000-3000 less. If I use the average specific volumes of the supply and return air I get a number roughly 5000 Btuh less than the standard formula. Which is the right one to use? Or maybe I should just call myself stupid and quit trying to understand this.

Post Likes
    Were you saying that you should use .172 instead of .24 or was this an actual question? I am trying to understand this but failing. If I use the standard formula 1.08 X CFM X Delta T I get a btu output. If I use the specific volume of the return drop air X .24 X 60 I get a BTUH of roughly 2000-3000 less. If I use the average specific volumes of the supply and return air I get a number roughly 5000 Btuh less than the standard formula. Which is the right one to use? Or maybe I should just call myself stupid and quit trying to understand this.
    More info to numb your mind.

Post Likes
    It was a hypothetical question and was part of an argument. The 2000-3000 BTU error that you derived is correct, assuming a 100,000 btuh furnace. The 5000 BTU error was not, since supply air density is immaterial.

Post Likes
    Just to make 100% sure then. To figure Btuh then I should be using (specific volume of return air X.24 X 60) X CFM X Delta T to find BTUH. If I am correct can you point me to a text book that states this. I need to reference something other than this forum unfortunately. I think these forums should be required reading for Techs everywhere.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Just to make 100% sure then. To figure Btuh then I should be using (specific volume of return air X.24 X 60) X CFM X Delta T to find BTUH. If I am correct can you point me to a text book that states this. I need to reference something other than this forum unfortunately. I think these forums should be required reading for Techs everywhere.

Thanks
    Specific density x 0.24 x 60 x cfm x ΔT

or

0.24 x 60 x cfm x ΔT / specific volume

I don't have a textbook reference, sorry.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    Specific density x 0.24 x 60 x cfm x ΔT

or

0.24 x 60 x cfm x ΔT / specific volume

I don't have a textbook reference, sorry.
    Should have been "dry air density" rather than "specific density" in the first equation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A VS ECM would move more CFM at 7,000 foot. As it wants to move its set mass air flow, and doesn't know a CFM from a BTU.
    Beenthere, I thought that ecm's are constant rpm motors therefore moving the same cfm's at any elevation. Can you explain?

Post Likes
    Never mind

I found this very informative post.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...2&postcount=19

Jim Bergman states;
    "ECM motors are not constant airflow but constant mass flow fan systems. ECM fans automatically correct for changes in air density (mass flow rate) by increasing or decreasing the RPM based upon the torque (as created by the fan) that the measured by sensors (as current) in the motor system. As the air density decreases, the motor and or fan will speed up because of the lower torque. In turn, a higher CFM will be measured through the system. The mass flow rate however will remain constant allowing the coil or heat exchanger to operate at its optimal efficiency. Where a standard fan operates at a constant volume and variable mass flow rate, an ECM operates with a constant mass flow rate and varies the CFM as the air density changes."

So.......an ecm has a constant rpm based on torque.Learned something new today.

Post Likes
    Sorry one last question. When dealing with cooling we use 4.5 X cfm X delta H

Can the same correction factors be applied to the 4.5 or am I asking a completly stupid question? If I am wrong could you please give me an example?

Thanks
    Yes, but you do not use 4.5 as the value you correct. the value 4.5 comes from specific density (0.075 lb/ft3 at standard conditions) times 60min/hr so you correct only the .075 value and not the 60 seconds if that makes sense. You correct first then multiply by 60 not vice versa.

Post Likes
    So.......an ecm has a constant rpm based on torque.Learned something new today.
    Closer to, it has a constant torque. It increases or decreases its RPM to maintain that constant torque.

Post Likes

Thanks
    Reference this.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...1&postcount=59

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Closer to, it has a constant torque. It increases or decreases its RPM to maintain that constant torque.
    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in