Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad compressor

I have been in the process of installing a new HVAC system to include duct work, new Goodman AEPT series air handling unit. After much delay, I got the Goodman Heat Pump I ordered from the supplier. Friday I piped up the unit and today I hooked up the low and high voltage wiring. However, when i check to see if the condensing unit was running, I heard the low voltage relay engergize but the condensing unit didn't come on. I check the disconnect and there was no power so i traced it back to the breaker and found it had tripped out. I reset and and it immediately tripped out again. I check the wiring at the disconnect and found it read short. I disconnected the wiring from the compressor to the contactor and foud that there seemed to be a dead short between the 240 volt circuit. I tried the unit without the compressor connected and the fan motor cam on and it worked fine-except the compressor did not come on.

My question, what should I do now. I installed the unit myself...That is I borrowed a set of gages, torches and vaccuum pump to install, but I don't really want to pull the compressor from a brand new unit...I have no refrigerant recovery unit, or really want to go through all the trouble to do that to a new piece of equipment. Can I hire someone to remove the compressor, replace it and recharge the system and get reimbursed for my expenses? Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Since you installed it yourself, the only problem is that if your not a liscensed mechanical contractor, you will be lucky to find a qualified contractor and you will get a new compresor under warranty but may have to pay labor charges. Good luck!

This is Turtle.

Well Bill , Hold it a minute here while i stop laughing, your at the of being called a hvac contractor and falls into all the rules that we have to follow. I buy a large amount of equipment from the suppliers like you only bought 1 unit.

Now from here on I will concider you not a HVAC contractor and a customer or home owner who bought their own equipment from a supplier and installed it yourself.

Well Bill you need to call the supplier you bought it from and see if they will even accept a warranty on the compressor first and i dought you will get any refund for labor of freon to change the compressor out. as far as i have ever hear of the installer is responciable for warranty of the installing or material of the new compressor and the supplier is only responcible for suppling a new compressor. Now Goodman has this thing about warrantys and if you being not a HVAC contractor or bought it over the internet voids your warranty.

Sorry Hvacbill but your fixing to eat a compressor change out and the cost of the compressor. Sorry but things don't look good at all.

TURTLE

I'd bet it's not wired correctly.

sorry bill turtle is correct this is what happens when equipment is sold to a homeowner or diyer,the standard warranties dont apply,maybe next time have a qualified hvac contractor install your hvac.

I see you live in n georgia look me up in the contractors list and will see if I can help you, but it will cost, I am gonna be in the woodstock area next week, so call quick

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

Are you serious??? This is too-perfect a scenario. A DIY buys their own equipment and self installs it only to find a grounded compressor. Bill, my man, you're screwed. You should've called a competent, licensed contractor. I looked through your previous posts and saw that you were strongly advised to call someone to do this for you. Whaddaya think we all just fell off the turnip truck? Many people on this site have dedicated many hours learning how to perform this trade. It irks me to think that someone thinks they can just go buy the stuff and install it themselves. As they say in the legal profession: The man who represent himself has a fool for a client. It goes the same here. Good luck on that warranty. And I don't know anybody that wouldn't charge you double to repair this mess, if they would even do it at all.
    R2B4BTU

I don't have a problem putting in equipment that the Home Owner has bought. I do that for people every now and again. I have had them ask how much to get it running. I always tell them this is by the hour. I could just see something like that happening to me and then they would want me to either change out the compressor or outside condensing unit also for the quoted price. That's why they pay by the hour. I only warranty my installation not the equipment they bought. That's just the way it is.

Well, I first have to ask...where'd you get it? I'll bet this is one of those internet sales, isn't it? Did you call the supplier and request the "how to" video that walks you step by step through eating that compressor and/or unit?

You don't have a recovery machine? You do realize that you've admitted to violating the law on refrigerant handling, right?

I don't expect you'll find much sympathy or help here, not after you botched a DIY install. How much money did you save now?

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

ROFLMAO This has made my weekend...

Good luck on finding someone to clean up your mess in the first place.. I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.. Any reputable hvac contractor that would is going to charge a large amount of money to see if they can salvage your attempt.. Any one that would just change the compressor and not re-evaluate the whole installation would be a hack.. And that is most likely the only type of person you will be able to get to help you..

Tommy stated he would help you,, he is part of this website so I don't think he is a hack but is probably a highly competant hvac contractor.. So get ready to get on your knees and open your wallet and see if he can help you..

You screwed up.. Now it will cost you twice as much as it should have..

DIY gets what he deserves... Life is good..
    J

hvacbill has smelled like a troll since he started posting here. He has posted one after another post of how everything is going wrong and how he doesn't know what to do. He has been told several times to call a contractor but never returns to the threads he starts with his new scenario.

At this point I do not believe this is for real.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Well Bill, I'm asumming you're a homeowner that bought the equipment from that internet site. Besides violating federal law by working on a sealed system without EPA certfication, you have done an "end run" around us folks who feed our families by being in this business. Yes, us same folks who go to school, take state license exams, invest a small fortune in tools and equipment, and either freeze our butts off or burn up depending on the time of the year.

I'm afraid I can't find too much sympathy in my heart for you, especially since I'm probably only a short distance from your location (Paulding County). At least pay a licensed contractor a fair price to fix this mess for you, and next time call a pro.

Bill you don't have to get on your knees just open the pocket book, and I am diffently NO HACK, I've been doing this since I got out of High School in 1978, Damn I told how old I am

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast