Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    as you can see I have an on going thread further down.....I AM getting a new HVAC system, but I also will be informed........never brought up Lennox, and don't seem to see much here......Looking at their v/s 2-stage gas furnace hi-eff., and HSX15 a/c unit....would appreciate any opinions/experiences with this product.
    Thanks
    G

ge,

I would like you to start considering that the manufacturer of the equipment is not the most important consideration..

I would have to say that I like Carrier/Bryant units and I am particularly fond of the infinity/evolution units..

However, I have worked on many brands for many yrs and any of the top of the line or Premeir units are comparable to each other..

Why do I like Carrier/Bryant is because I deal with Bryant..I also deal with Goodman and can also say I have never had a serious problem with it either with the newer units..

All manufacturers have had problems and will have a junk unit again in the future.. Rheem/Ruud had the drum,, Lennox had the Completeheat(heap),, Carrier had the early 90% with multiple control boards,, Goodman had the GMP series, Trane had compressor problems when they first switched their compressor operation to Mexico.. So any brand can at any time have a problem system..

What is important is that your hvac dealer is there for you and will help to rectify any manufacturer or installation problems you have..

Given that just get the best system you can afford no matter what brand from the contractor you trust..

Goodluck
    J

I think the Lennox will serve you well if installed by a quality contractor.. Just as much as any other brand..

Thanks, and I understand that......it's all about installation/service......I guess none of the top brands have major issues with horrible problems....it's just that I am trying to investigate as many options and learn as much as possible....I tell the estimator I know about variable speed, etc. It helps speed up the visit, and doesn't waste the person's time....so far all have been nice, except I got the feeling that one of the people that came was kinda in a hurry and sort of gave the impression of "how did I know that?"....but decisions will be coming soon.
    Question: are they required to show you a heat loss calc? A few have said that they take measurements of the townhouse, approx 1400 sq. ft., and brand new double pane Low E argon gas windows.........It seems on this site that there is soooo much emphasis on heat loss calc/ manual J and I am going to have to see if I receive anything like that from the people that have come so far.....Maybe you don't have to do it in a townhouse surrounded by 2 others...????They seem to say that it is a 2.5 ton unit now, and they wouldn't go down below that because of the 2 stories..... darn-this is not easy. I think tooo much.
    George

ge,

I know of some specific problems with brands but it is not a reason not to recommend them.. Example: Some of the Carrier/Bryant infinity/evolution early units have had some problems with the software in the gas furnace controller but is easily rectified.. Also goodman has had some main board problems as many other brands.. Also trane/As has had some problems with their ciruit board.. A problem can creap up at any time with any brand.. All the manufacturers find out the problems they are having and issue a bulliten to the dealer so the problem can be rectified.. This can be similar to car manufacturers that issue recalls to get a problem resolve.. As you can see in car manufacturers that they all have revisions at one time or another,, same goes for a hvac manufacturer..

A load calc is a must and so is making sure your ductwork was done correctly and if not to rectify your ducts if needed..

As I have stated before, you can do your own load calc by clicking on the Red tab marked hvac Calc and for a cheap cost of the homeowner version do your own and see if it comprehends similar to the dealers numbers..

Have you considered a dual fuel system as an option.. This would give you a heat pump for primary heating and the gas furnace as the back up heating... Great money saving depending on your rates..

I think if you are going to go with someone from this website you might find there job supperior to many others,, as most people on here are here to learn and advance their abilities..

Hopefully you can post your new system on the Wall of Pride when you get your system done.. None the less, we would like to see your finished product..

Goodluck
    J

P.S. Any contractor should not have a problem supplying the detailed load calc when the job is finished, just ask for a copy.. I personally give each customer a copy of the load calc and also a start-up and performance work sheet when the job is completed..

[Edited by Advanced Response on 02-18-2006 at 04:21 PM]

well, I sure as heck hope I do see this load calc from someone..........Oh, I know the people here are knowledgeable-I set up my Thermidistat and dip switches with the help of the people here and tech support from Carrier Canada a few years ago with heat pump, so you cannot imagine how much I appreciate your help and respect your knowledge and opinions/comments/suggestions.....I feel i made the right decision with the heat pump in Canada, just that the installer was an Armstrong man, but installed, but I did alot of the adjustments(negatives of living in the boonies).....now I'm here and know I will get proper adjustments(I even get a little giggle when I mention to the estimators about adjustments(.....anyway...I wait
    G
    if anyone saw the pics in m y other thread-what is the opinion about venting the exhaust and intake into that alcove?
    geoss

gto boy Guest
    Around where we live ALL Lennox partsmust come from Lennox and Lennox charges big bucks for their parts There is places like NAPA for HVAC parts and Lennox is very propreity. I think that the equipment represents 30%, the rest is who puts it in. As far as repairs and long life goes.Some have COOL things that others do not(ie Infinity control.

reply gto boy

Hi,
    yeah I know -it was jkust something I mentioned....what got me was the HSX15 rated at 67db noise level.....and I want as quiet as possible........If I decide to go with Carrier 38TXA, hope it is as quiet as that.
    George
    p.s. Joe should get a big kick out of all this communication I'm going through...........LOL

He asked me,if I wanted to take over and handle the job.I said"read his posts and give him what he wants"it is not that hard. he said that based on the posts he felt that you were not sure yet.We are a Carrier Distingushed Dealer,you will not see another in the area.We did all the installs at their site in Philly so they could train other dealers.We also are a Trane Comfort Expert only 2% of the Trane dealers are that. We run the Vo-tech at Delco Com. College and have in house trainnig every wednesday night and our president is a past ACCA president.We put ALL techs and installers into NATE program even if they have been in trade for a while,and give them a raise when they get it. Drug testing and backround checks on All.all local trade schools give us first pick.I had my own company 80 trucks and sold it to the power company and got out. I drove my wife nuts and came back in.gto is from home and Guru is my work. I do not know why HP guru does not work from home unless signed on with Mircosoft Outlook via office.TinKnocker not computer guy.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

heatpump guru,

You sound like you know your stuff.. I hope GE goes with your company.. Also, please have your guys take some pictures of this job or encourage GE to do so.. I think they will belong in the Wall of Pride from the way you talk..

Goodluck to you guru on getting the job..
    Goodluck to GE on how you decide..
    J

Guru is a Carrier dealer.. The best system in my mind for you GE would be a Carrier Infinity Dual fuel which would include a heat pump and a 90% two stage.. The ultimate set-up would be with the two stage heat pump system.. Ultimate sytem with the best control on the market.. I.E. Infinity user interface(T-stat)

Before I moved in to take care of my mom/dad(mom passed this summer), they only went through your company, and neighbors had your installs and I've talked to techs that have worked at neighbors......I have no hesitations about your company at all.
    Don't want to go with dual fuel///HP and furnace. I'm going to stay with the furnace and a/c system setup. Although Joe gave me a brochure for the 80%, I believe I'm going to go with Hi-Eff.-just don't know how high gas prices are going, so better off with the 94% or whatever it is.
    Definitely will post pics of finished product(son is moving into townhouse in a couple weeks, so alot of junk in basement will be gone)....eventually son will be looking at HP system(no gas in his complex)......thanks for bearing with me.
    George

gto boy Guest
    Carrier calls it Hybrid Heat(using the BUZZ word from the cars). Around here you would get move savings using an 80% with a heat pump than a 90% with an a/c system due to gas prices and drop per kw 14.9KW vs 6 over 600KW. I sold our company to a power company because the deregulated electric in PA 1996,it was a FLOOP.Of the 1 million allowed to switch,only 40 thousand did.Now with gas prices and LNG depot that no one wants in their town gas will raise,and electric will also.But PECO signed a deal for the RH to get people to use the GLUT of power in the winterThey build the Nuke Plants for a/c demands and have extra power to sell at a reduced rate. Dual fuel lets you run h/p in mild weather because you do not need that much heat and you can change the set point yourself.

reply gto

I love it......more thoughts....I don't think that my duct size (8x8 main.....6" trunks) would be big enough to handle or take advantage of heat pump....went to another house done by your people today for a luncheon.....beautiful work...they have a system in the attic and one in the basement..I guess the attic handles upstairs for a/c and the downstairs handles the heat for the first floor.....too complicated for me....anyway looked good....ducts all nicely covered in the unheated basement by the aluminum bubble wrap.....maybe something I should do in my basement. the house is in Media area.....newly built.....anyway great job!.........
    George

I like Lennox equip. The only issue I have with Lennox is getting parts and I think that has more to do with location. There's no local Lennox distributor around here (NH) so parts are at least a day away. My shop isn't a Lennox dealer so we don't stock all their parts. The other major manufacturers have local distributors here. It's tough sometimes to tell the customer they won't have heat or A/C for a day or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast