Insulation on Heatpump Freon Lines?
    A recent post mentioned insulation thickness required on heatpump freon lines. My freon lines have varying thickness and quality of insulation. Some is foam, with the copper line showing in places. Some is a thick black mastic material that is pretty skimpy in places (near the outside condensor unit).

The small line going into the air handler is uninsulated.

How important is it to have the lines fully insulated? I can easily fix the places where the foam type has opened up (in the crawlspace). Should I call in a pro for the mastic (or the whole job) right away.

Or should I just wait for my next servicing (late spring) and have them do it then?

Unit is a Payne 3-ton 12-SEER.

Thanks

Insulated lines

You are safe with the small line (the liquid line) uninsulated. The large line, (the vapor line), should be insulated its' entire length, from outside unit to inside unit with a minimum of half-inch thick sidewall amorflex (black spongy rubber type) insulation. The large line (vapor) is what delivers your heat to the indoor unit in the heating mode and delivers cool refrigerant vapor back to your compressor in the cooling mode. With the integrity of the insulation impaired, your overall efficiecy drops dramatically in the heat mode, and in cooling, your electric motor of the compressor runs hotter than it should due to the extra heat the refrigerant vapor picks up returning to the outdoor unit. I would suggest you have that situation corrected when feasible, bottom line is: you're losing money.

Good answer Rob, kudos