I think I need to replace my combo electric/gas unit. It is a Rheem and has worked well for 18 years so I think I should get a new one before it fails. Is this a wise move or should I just change out some key parts? Also, what SEER level do you recommend - 13, 14 or maybe 16? What brand is the best - Right now I have a quote on a Trane XL-1400 and a Ruud RRNA-B. Look forward to your input.

No single change this coponet and your good for another x years.

If the Rheem served youo well for 18 years, I think I would stay with the Rheem/Ruud line.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wink

Thanks for your input

Whats the model of the unit you currently have?

there is no best brand out there some have better features than others some of us have our favorite brands but go with what you feel the most comfortable with and choose the installing company wisely thats the most important

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Depends on the "comfort"and "efficeny" you want and are wiiling to pay for.

There's two stage compressors,hybrid heat ,high SEER ,Infinity Controls,etc.,etc..

Originally posted by docholiday
    Whats the model of the unit you currently have?
    I have a RRGF-10E36JKR made by Rheem. Looking at a RUUD and paying for the extra warranty.

Talking

20 years is the normal life span on a pakage unit like yours.if you can afford to i would go with the highest eff unit possible.you might spend $1000.00 more but it will save you on the long haul.some times if you go with high eef unit they will give you 10 years on paarts and labor

Replace the unit with whatever is the best you can afford. Brand name is not as important as proper sizing and installation. If the proposals don't include a load calculation, then keep shopping. 18 years ago, someone may not have done a proper load calculation, so don't base what you want by what's in there now.
    R2B4BTU