+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hill Rack problem

Post Likes

Confused Hill Rack problem

I had a service call today on a hill rack down. Arrived on site and found the control bkr tripped. I reset bkr and rack kicked back on kept an eye on it for about an hour and a half. While running I check all controls wiring I ripped the whole thing apart and found no bad wires. I am think maybe the bkr is going bad the last time it happen was three weeks ago. Does anyone have any ideas?

Post Likes
    i have found the wires going to the 3 way valve or DDR valve with a short at the connector i have never had a bad control breaker your going to have to chase the common wire and see if you can find a nick or short
    Mastic its whats for dinner!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorfan9606 View Post
    i have found the wires going to the 3 way valve or DDR valve with a short at the connector i have never had a bad control breaker your going to have to chase the common wire and see if you can find a nick or short

Bad breakers are EXTREMELY rare.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy06 View Post
    I had a service call today on a hill rack down. Arrived on site and found the control bkr tripped. I reset bkr and rack kicked back on kept an eye on it for about an hour and a half. While running I check all controls wiring I ripped the whole thing apart and found no bad wires. I am think maybe the bkr is going bad the last time it happen was three weeks ago. Does anyone have any ideas?
    This would fall under the category of DON'T be a parts changer. It may take some time and effort, but find the cause.

Post Likes
    Cycle every control voltage load on/off.

take a insulated screwdriver and bang on all flex conduit.

Pull graphs an take note of when the cases started to run warm...this could/should point you into the direction of where to start looking.

I had just the other day a circuit that towards the end of defrost would start to pull 45 amps and blow the main control fuse...it was a bugger to find. Was a shorted to ground termination circuit in case#3 of a 6 case line.

Post Likes
    I would also like to add, although you have checked the wiring, it may also be in the coils themselves...

I like to force all comps. Split valves, sorits and well,anything that may be on the control circuit.

I once found the lamp on the circuit rocker switch was the culprit...Good luck!

Post Likes
    Ive had a bunch of these on Hill racks. Most were traced to wires in flexible metal conduits. Those Carlyles vibrate enough to cause the insulation to wear thin on the wires. The control circuit usually isnt enough to blow a hole in the conduit but when a compressor feed wire wears through, they are easy to find. Just look for the hole melted and you have it. When I find them I replace the coduit with non metalic liquid tight making sure there is a ground wire of course.
    You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.
    You can learn something from EVERYONE.

Post Likes
    Throw an amp probe on circuit and record then tighten all associated screw terminals and record, oh yea dont forget to check tightness of solenoid coils especially if their compound compressors. ditto on the aluminum flex lines.

Post Likes
    yes I agree with thermofridge breaker probably just doing its job.

Post Likes
    Its not the breaker Dennis. Like the guys said, cycle every load off your relay boards, defrost solenoids, defrost contactors, split, reclaim etc. My cell over here is 508-889-3383 . Tim

Post Likes
    Breaker did it's job. Continue to try and find the short. Keep in mind, once a breaker trips it's experienced stress and could now be week. Some recommend to replace breakers after they trip.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thermofridge View Post
    Ive had a bunch of these on Hill racks. Most were traced to wires in flexible metal conduits. Those Carlyles vibrate enough to cause the insulation to wear thin on the wires. The control circuit usually isnt enough to blow a hole in the conduit but when a compressor feed wire wears through, they are easy to find. Just look for the hole melted and you have it. When I find them I replace the coduit with non metalic liquid tight making sure there is a ground wire of course.
    I have seen this many times, it can drive you crazy until you learn what to look for. Sometimes there will be a small burn hole in the flex from the arcing. Ive seen them trip right away, or a year later.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in