Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello everyone.

Not to beat a dead horse but are the Goodman furnaces really getting better? I know people have been bashing it for some reason or the other but don't really offer anything substantial except they didn't like the product or didn't have that much success in fixing or installing it.

So, are they worth the money if the installer is as good as they can get or they can be more than a handful even with a good installer. I know you could get a unit that just so happens to have some bad part unknowingly installed by Goodman. But overall, are they really good?

Thanks.

it doesnt cost a lot more to just install a good system.
    by the time you replace the motors and compressors and repairs whens it all over you could have purchased a good system and had money left over.

While Goodman equipment was always a value to the consumer when installed and applied properly, Goodman equipment now is not only as good as other brands in most cases, but the current line of Goodman condensing furnaces has the highest overall line efficiency ratings on the market.

Using the technology from the Amana manufacturing that Goodman now owns, the patented dual sized tubular heat exchanger in Goodman furnaces makes them superior to any other brand on the market.

If you are looking for the only line of furnaces that meet the Department Of Energy's requirements for tax credits for high efficiency, Goodman is it.....not one other brand can meet the DOE efficiency requirements with a complete line of furnaces.

NOW THIS SHOULD GET INTERESTING (everything I just posted is accurate and true, so let's see how things can get twisted )
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

but yet they are still rated among the worst equipment money can buy according to consumer reports.and sell more of their equipment to the general public than any other brand.thats the truth.

Originally posted by jeffshvac
    but yet they are still rated among the worst equipment money can buy according to consumer reports.and sell more of their equipment to the general public than any other brand.thats the truth.
    And any professional that quotes Consumer Reports

[Edit]"Nope, I am not going to let you bash them because they gave Goodman an unfavorable review." [Sorry]

Consumer Digest, another consumer advocacy organization, rates Goodman as a "Best Buy" brand. So, when it comes to opinions...and that is all these consumer agencies have, it all boils down to whose hype you want to buy into. If you want facts, it is better to use industry standard testing agencies such as ARI or maybe government agency standards such as GAMA and DOE.

[Edited by Lusker on 02-18-2006 at 10:37 AM]

Consumer Reports states that problems reported with furnaces were mainly with the unit itself. How would they know this? A homeowner probably wouldn't know this. If more problems are reported it could be the install. Installation could cause virtually any type of problem found with the unit.

im not a goodman basher.im talking from experience,ive been making $$$$$$$$$ servicing their equipment for years.starting another thread like this is beating a dead horse.thanks

Here is the Consumer Reports survey data with my commentary in bold;

Furnace picks and pans

Buying a reliable furnace has largely been a roll of the dice, (Insinuating that GAMA ratings, which are actually tested furnaces, is not usable input.) but help is at hand. New data from a Consumer Reports survey of more than 36,000 homeowners show that some brands of gas furnaces, the most common type by far, may be a better bet than others. (To use the terms "data" and "survey" in the same sentence just takes gall.) Gas furnaces from Goodman, (And no one feels that there may be a specific bias here?) for instance, were among the more repair-prone of the 12 big brands in our 2004 Annual Questionnaire.

Overall, about one-sixth of all furnaces installed in the past eight years had needed repair. We found only minor differences between new installations and replacements. NOTE: No specific repairs are ever mentioned in this "survey". Not one piece of informative data is given. Among our other survey findings (opinions):

• Nearly 60 percent of repairs were to furnaces that had failed completely and stopped producing heat. (How many had gas pressure or no gas issues? How many had the electricity not turned on to them? Just "what" were the specifics?)

• Almost 40 percent of repairs involved homes left unheated for at least 24 hours. (Why? Were parts not available? Was the gas or electricity turned off? Was the service company inept? Did the consumer not have the money for the repair?)

• Almost 40 percent of repairs cost $150 or more. (60% of these "repairs" cost less then $150???? What could be wrong that costs less then $150 to repair? Well, since this "survey" gives us absolutely no real information, we just don't know, do we?)

According to our survey data (again with the "survey data" oxymoron. Just exactly what are they referring to as "data"? I see absolutely no data whatsoever in this "survey".), the vast majority of repairs involved a problem with the furnace itself, not with its installation. (Again; what are the particulars? Why has CR not stated even one forinstance?) It’s important to choose not only a good installer but also a reliable brand. (Isn't this the mantra of the Tranewashed and the Carrier pigeons?)

GAS furnaces

Data are based on 36,181 central furnaces installed between 1997 and 2004; differences of less than 5 points are not meaningful. ("Differences of less than 5 points are not meaningful", yet there is only a 10 point difference between the claimed best and the claimed worst. Even more important is that there is any difference at all between brands that are identical, yet have different claimed repair rates. I do believe this factor alone highly proves that it "is" the installation.) Data have been standardized to account for higher use in colder climates and differences in age; repairs to thermostats only were not counted as repairs. Note that models within a brand may vary. Our data cannot always anticipate design or manufacturing changes. (THERE IS NO DATA....CR did nothing but manipulate a bogus survey. Does anyone recall the "4 out of 5 doctors recommend Bayer aspirin" survey? Do you know that over 100 doctors were actually surveyed, but only 5 were used for the survey results? Surveys are useless in the fact that they are completely at the mercy of the surveyer to make them appear any way the surveyer wants them to appear. CR has a vested interest in bad mouthing Goodman with this survey because of the flak CR got on their AC survey they took the year prior to doing this one.)

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 02-18-2006 at 11:50 AM]

due to amana goodman units are much better than they used to be,however a real sore point for many contractors is the number of places on the internet that sell goodman to the general public.

Alberta you hit the nail on the head. Because so many places sell them on the internet and DIYs can buy them. I have got Goodman systems that have been in for 10 years with NO PROBLEMS, have a Goodman system in my home. I have seen Goodman condensors put in by DIY's and wondered "How in the Hell dose this thing even run?" and it just perkulating along. I Love Goodman Equipment, the place that use to sell to anybody and everybody here in the Atlanta Area, has now quit selling them, and RoBo I'm sure you know who I'm talking about, and there are thousands of them in the Atlanta Metro Area. It is good equipment and a good value for the money, or it use to be a good value, the company that sells them now has a courner on the Goodman market and is using it to up the annie on them. Bottom line it is as good or better than any other on the market

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

that consumer report has lennox between tempstar & amana.i am going to take a shower now.

Originally posted by tommy graham
    Alberta you hit the nail on the head. Because so many places sell them on the internet and DIYs can buy them. I have got Goodman systems that have been in for 10 years with NO PROBLEMS, have a Goodman system in my home. I have seen Goodman condensors put in by DIY's and wondered "How in the Hell dose this thing even run?" and it just perkulating along. I Love Goodman Equipment, the place that use to sell to anybody and everybody here in the Atlanta Area, has now quit selling them, and RoBo I'm sure you know who I'm talking about, and there are thousands of them in the Atlanta Metro Area. It is good equipment and a good value for the money, or it use to be a good value, the company that sells them now has a courner on the Goodman market and is using it to up the annie on them. Bottom line it is as good or better than any other on the market

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
    Tommy, I'm also in the Atlanta area. I think Tate still carries it and Johnstone Supply has the full Goodman line now at competative prices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast