Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I moved in my first house less than 3 years ago, and i admit i know nothing about house. This winter i began to notice there are too much humidity in my house. Water condensation all over windown, ice frozen at the bottom of the window, some black mold on the ceiling. The strange thing is that it was never like this before. I think hard on what's changed, then i think of these two things.

I just replaced my old furnace with a high efficiency furnace two months ago, and I know they built some new ventilation pipe through the side wall, or somthing like that. Can it cause some problems?

Second, there was some leaking in my kitch area. On and off for a while (we had warm Jan, so that is why i still saw leaking in winter), so there might be some water leftover?

The key thing is that it never happened like this before. I have to think one of these two things has something to do with it. Can anyone please give me some suggestion? Should I call the furnace company to check out?

Originally posted by simoncat
    >>>>I moved in my first house less than 3 years ago, and i admit i know nothing about house. This winter i began to notice there are too much humidity in my house. Water condensation all over windown, ice frozen at the bottom of the window, some black mold on the ceiling. The strange thing is that it was never like this before. I think hard on what's changed, then i think of these two things.<<<<

>>>>I just replaced my old furnace with a high efficiency furnace two months ago, and I know they built some new ventilation pipe through the side wall, or somthing like that. Can it cause some problems?<<<<

Does the furnace have one or two vent pipes terminating outside?

>>>>Second, there was some leaking in my kitch area. On and off for a while (we had warm Jan, so that is why i still saw leaking in winter), so there might be some water leftover?<<<<

So, what was leaking in the kitchen area? Was it a water pipe? Did it get repaired, so the leak stopped?

>>>>The key thing is that it never happened like this before. I have to think one of these two things has something to do with it. Can anyone please give me some suggestion? Should I call the furnace company to check out?<<<<

Thanks for the quick reply. Here are the answers.

<<< Does the furnace have one or two vent pipes terminating outside?

I remember I saw two, but not 100% sure. I will go check outside tomorrow.

<<< So, what was leaking in the kitchen area? Was it a water pipe? Did it get repaired, so the leak stopped?

It is the rain or melting snow from the roof. there is no water pipe over there. The leak occured at the corner of the roof. The roof guy came over three times, each time caulk something but cannot be sure where is the leak. So I have to wait until the spring time to know for sure if it got fixed.

Talking about water pipe, i did hear a strange clicking sound when I turn on the hot water faucet in one of my bathroom. (it is far from the leaking at the kitchen) One of my friends said it might not be leaking, but some expension of the pipe due to the hot water. And there is little I can do until I see water, then I have rip off the wall to fix it.

what type of insulation is in the attic?
    do you have soffits, with vents?

maybe the soffit vent has become closed off due to insulation shifting, or being placed such that it blocks off air moving thru attic to get moisture out, maybe moisture is collecting over soffit & freezing --

maybe you have ice dams; which is ice forming at the lower roof edge, then up the roof; on warmer days this melts --

do you have gutters? maybe the gutter is stopped up if no guards? great guards = plastic ones from HomeDepot = have longitudional ribs, about $1/ft.

over a crawl space?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

A 2 pipe high eff. furnace is pulling outside air for combustion, not using inside air. Your old furnace used indoor air for combustion so more dry outside air was being pulled indoors to replace it. (air infiltration). Water getting into the structure doesn't help also. Are bathroom vents working?

Turn down your humidistat.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Again, thank you for replying.

I do have gutter and I don't see any ice dam. It was pretty warm until several days ago, so nothing was really frozen when I saw all this humidity.

I do feel the furnace theory more likely. I used to feel the house very dry before I replaced with a high efficiency 2-pipe one. Now I guess I was at the other end of bad situation. If this is the main cause of the problem, how do I make it better? Turn on the bathroom vents all the time? Aldo, I don't have a humidistat or humidifi/erdehumidifier with the new furnace.

Another question i want ask is that I got quite a lot of ice at the bottom of several windows. Quite thick. Is it going to damage the glasses or window root if I wait? Should I first try to melt it?

It will help to keep an exhaust fan running as it will cause you to bring in more outside air.

Pleas have your system checked immediately for a possible flue vent gas leak into your home.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Someone correct me here if I am wrong. If a roofer is caulking to fix a problem in the type of area you describe you may need to try someone else. Rarely will a good roofer fix a leak this way, there may be a flashing, ice dam or other design problem. Roofers don't use caulk.

Tough to say without seeing the leak. might be a split in the gutter and water's overflowing, getting behind fashia board. Anything's possible. But do check for a flue leak (might be in attic). There's a lot of moisture in the furnace exhaust. You should have a CO detector anyway.
    High efficency furnaces produce condensate. There should be a drain on the furnace. Maybe clogged and the condensate is getting picked backed up and distributing through the ductwork? If your house is very tight? You mught need a heat recovery vent to bring dry fresh air into the home.

I'd buy a small digital thermometer with humidity display (around 20 bucks) should not be over 50% durring the winter.

[Edited by johnsp on 02-18-2006 at 11:30 AM]

Anything wrong with turning it into a one pipe furnace?
    After getting it checked out for flue leaks of course.
    I assume the previous furnace was a natural draft item.

One question about this flue leak thing since three people suggested checking it first. I assume this is the problem with the furnace and the heating system? Should I call the furnace company who installed my furnace? (i have said at the beginning I know nothing about taking care of house, so bear with me. but I am learning little by little). BTW, I do have a CO detector.

I will go buy a thermstat with humidity display, and I will let you know what is the number.

To give you more idea about the roofing problem. I have multiple level, and the kitch is under same roof as the garage and I cannot crawl into there because the attic is blocked between garage and kitchen. But the most serious moisture problem occured at the higher level in living room. Not sure if it helps to say if the moisure and leak are relavent.

About the roof leak, I kind of feel the roofer tried their best to locate the problem, but they just cannot see anthing obvious. So they just patched something possible, and keep on eye on that. and I have to wait until next rain or melting snow to know. But you're right. I may considering somebody else next time.

Thank you all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast