Question Dryer vent lint catcher water bucket?

Back in the day everyone had these buckets connected to their dryers in the winter.Bad thing was they were mostly for gas dryers.My question was,are these products illegal-unsafe for home use ? i went over to my sisters house and found one connected in the basement,freaked out and ripped it off and put the hose to the outside vent. I threw it out paranoid of Carbon monoxide poisoning.My father also has one and i think uses it all the time in the winter.Was there a warning ever sent out to owners that use these products.

I think lint traps are bad all around. I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed in current codes. Definitely not good for IAQ with the finer lint still escaping... worse if its' a gas dryer.

The PO's to my hosue used a lint trap. There was a giant pile of lint where the dryer was.

I mean really... how hard is to add a small vent

They are basically horrible all the way around and I'm SURE there is a warning on the outside of the box they are sold in, however everyone throws the box away!!! The basic idea was for the water in the bucket to "catch" the lint, but actually it did nearly nothing and then when dried out, absolutely nothing. I've actually seen folks use an old pair of panty hose tied over the end of the dryer vent hose....heck I'd say that would work better than the dryer "bucket". Plus it keeps your dead-beat kids from using the old panty hose for disguise when robbing a bank....what?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    They are basically horrible all the way around and I'm SURE there is a warning on the outside of the box they are sold in, however everyone throws the box away!!! The basic idea was for the water in the bucket to "catch" the lint, but actually it did nearly nothing and then when dried out, absolutely nothing. I've actually seen folks use an old pair of panty hose tied over the end of the dryer vent hose....heck I'd say that would work better than the dryer "bucket". Plus it keeps your dead-beat kids from using the old panty hose for disguise when robbing a bank....what?
    growing up that's what we had (panty hose at the end of the dryer vent). Ran the dryer and kept the laundry room door open and it helped heat the house. Or pulled the vent across the hall and into the bathroom to help heat it up early in the morning or on a really cold winter day.

They were never designed for gas dryers and there was a warning in he instructions not to use with gas dryers.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

register

grasshopper, This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted.