Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

eccentric sheave ?

what its use for and where most likely to find eccentric sheave in this industry? is there a tricks about proper way to remove it?

any info will be appreciated.

have never seen eccentic sheave in the field

I'd really like to see one spinning at high rate of speed
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I think they're used for testing the life-cycle of vibration isolators..........

^^funny^^

Maybe you mean split-taper sheaves with a concentric bore? Like this:

http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/p...itTaperShv.asp

Quote Originally Posted by RuralSpaceman View Post
    ^^funny^^

Maybe you mean split-taper sheaves with a concentric bore? Like this:

http://www.emerson-ept.com/eptroot/p...itTaperShv.asp
    If so:

you remove the 3 bolts from the face off the sheave and put them into the three empty holes. Tightening these 3 bolts evenly presses the tapered hub out of the sheave and the thing just falls apart.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

An eccentric sheave is just what it says, out of round. When the eccentric hub is tightened it secures the sheave. It's to be tightened with a drift and hammer in the direction of rotation. It's usually easier to remove these sheaves than some other types.
    Tracers work both ways.

I have never heard about eccentric sheaves. I know eccentric sleeves used in pillow block bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    An eccentric sheave is just what it says, out of round. When the eccentric hub is tightened it secures the sheave. It's to be tightened with a drift and hammer in the direction of rotation. It's usually easier to remove these sheaves than some other types.
    In 35 years, I've never seen nor heard of an eccentric sheave. Neither have I seen an eccentric locking collar on a sheave. The only thing that comes close to either one in this discussion is an eccentric locking collar on a bearing sleeve. Maybe I'll stand corrected before this thread peters out......

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    In 35 years, I've never seen nor heard of an eccentric sheave. Neither have I seen an eccentric locking collar on a sheave. The only thing that comes close to either one in this discussion is an eccentric locking collar on a bearing sleeve. Maybe I'll stand corrected before this thread peters out......
    I would have to agree with this statement only thing that I have ever seen is a bearing locking collar nothing else.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

What you are refering to is a tappered hub as the bolts on the hub are tighten they pull the sheeve closer to the hub until its tight same goes for removal using the bolts to spread it apart.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Found them on pillow blocks of make-up air units. Set screws are more common.

I don't know if any one manufactures an eccentric sheave or not.
    FYP's ? was what it was.
    It's a locking device.
    Could it work on a belt drive? It could probably grip as well as set screws.
    Like others have said, most common use of an eccentric is as a locking collar.
    Tracers work both ways.

Hi Hvacker,

thanks for info,you said tightened in the direction of rotation.
    so when removing it does it rotate to the opposite of the rotation?
    may be i will come across a job for this one day
    do you have any web link to it?

I saw a two of eccentric sheave in our HVAC parts section and no one here recall what it was for. no brand or anything like that and the manual missing some section of how to install and remove it.
    its about 4'' diameter eccentric and flat around it with collar. its look like belt tensioner for auto engine.

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast