Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah thats what I gathered from your previous post about the carborators. And we had one fuel deliverer in Landis when I was a kid and 2 more in neighboring China Grove NC. My family were friends with our local fuel delivery guy and remember seeing him all ove town dragging his big red hose accross the yard.Sometimes around the house and he would have to drag a long way, then fill her up. Always remember the fuel gauges and all the valves on the back of his truck. He problably dreaded seeing me comming.I would start talking and asking a million questions. But he was nice and would answer them. His name is Bill Lambert and he still lives in the same house.See him around occaisionally. I miss the old days. Things were at a slower pace and I just think it was a better time.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by stickinit2thman View Post
    Thank you. I didnt start this thread for critisizim! I started it to try and learn something and to ge people talking about someting different.I planned it being a constructive fun conversation of technology gone by. But it seems to have turned into some kind of bowe your chest and try and make myself feel above someone conversation.So thanks to the constructive responses and as far as old guy's I kina consider myself in that demographic im 41 and feel every year. As I stated ive only seen 1 in a service inviroment and Im not about to let my pride or ego damage someones home or life. Yes I more likely than not would have gottten it going but and thats a BIG but if I miss 1 thing or dont know some critical detail its all over! So keep the posts comming from those sharing info and experiances with this type of heater.Still am curious about them as I just learned the other day while talking to my mom that the house I was raised in and live in now had one when my family first moved into the house in the 70's and it clogged up and and they never used it again, so I would like to hear as much about them as possible.
    Since your Mom has one, that would be a good training exercise for you to see if you can get that old one to work. Based on your posts, it sounds like you want to "dive" into this because curiousity is getting to the better of you.
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

old thread, but did anyone ever post a manual for these things? worked on one yesterday, first ever fooled with.
    called back today not working again.

looking for a manual on a seigler
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I don't know if they ever even had a manual! The most common issue with these is the oil entry tube into the burner pot getting clogged near the burner with carbon deposits. Most Seigler's had a iron tube that conveyed the oil to the burner and it protruded out the back of the stove. It had a cap you could unscrew from the end and stick a rod through to clear any blockages. The oil supply from the float valve to this tube was usually copper and teed into the side of this tube. Second most common were clogs in the float control themselves. The main float that allows oil from the tank into the float body can clog. It is a needle valve. You can disassemble the control and clean the valves and seats. The main control valve allowing oil to the burner can also clog, though this is less common since any trash usually settles out in the bottom of the oil control before it gets to the burner oil control. There can be other problems, such as the combustion air passages getting clogged with dust and not allowing enough air in. This can at worst cause the fire to go out, and second worst cause the flame to burn very sooty and can clog the inlet tube with carbon. Also, make sure if the float control has an emergency shut off that it is working properly. It usually has a little reset lever sticking out the side of the control. There are usually instructions on top that explain how this works. If the main float fails to close and therefore shut off fuel flow from the tank to the float chamber, the safety float will trip and cut the oil flow to the control.

Oh, also, most Siegler's had a removable inner firering (the thing with the holes) so that you could take it out for cleaning. If there is a ceramic ring on top, be very careful with it. After the stove is lit and at operating temp, the flame should NOT be burning off the bottom of the pot!

Billygoat, can you get me the model number of the stove you have? I have some manuals I can send if I have the one for your stove.

Haven't seen one of those heaters in many many years. Thank heavens.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks Micah, I'll get the # of that thing tomorrow.

got the #s- M-8870UN, s-58768. thanks

This should be the installation and use manual for your stove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can't wait until someone has a question on a Timken oil burner. Wait did I just say how old I was?

Thank you Micah, that does clear up some questions I had.

Siegler Enamel Range co

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    This should be the installation and use manual for your stove.
    Hi MicahWes.....
    Would you happen to have a manual for a model: 4148 ?
    I have one in my garage and would like to get it running

Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast