Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niagara AX

On Wednesday I was given a demo of Niagara AX and was pretty impressed. In R2 it takes 7 clicks to change text; in AX you can do it in 1 click. And there are lots of similar enhancements throughout. I'm jut about sold, but at our location we've used the Windows XP Niagara boxes, and the reps giving the demo were pushing the embedded controllers. They've just about got me sold. While I like the XP boxes, I suspect the embedded models are going to be more stable. And won't have fans that fail and fry the processor...

I'm still waiting for an alignment tool in the interface.

-E

How was the graphics ?

And alarm routing ?

Graphics were much improved. Every R2 function is much more accessible. You now have access to on-screen palettes during development so that you will save gobs of time putting your systems together. They also provide such nice things as menu bars, mouse-overs and lots of other standard web functionality.

You can even place charts on the page that show historical data, vice gx charts that show only live data.

The coolest thing was that you no longer need to have your laptop with the right verison of software: Now the develoment tool is web based and is built into each UNC. If you login with the right level of access, you can do your development from any desktop with a browser.

The licensing structure is changing a lot because of this.

Alarms are better, but still not sure if we can get away from a whole lot of "if" statements. That will take a little more info.

-E

Does it effect tunneling , or maybe improve it ?

Tunneling didn't come up in discussion.

The NP/NX platform has been discontinued, now the options are only jace 4/5, jace 2 (more onboard i/o, smaller), or softjace (running on your own server of choice)

Even though the NP/NX platform has been discontinued, can the saved database/configurations from these older boxes migrate to AX, once the older UNCs and servers are first adequately upgraded to the latest R2 revs? Can the NP/NX boxes be used under AX environment?

Or can the R2 Enterprise Server be upgraded to AX while allowing R2 and AX Jaces/UNCs to coexist on the same server? What does an existing R2 customer need to do to take advantage of AX features?

I was under the impression that AX was based on the QNX OS, but hadn't heard if there is a windows version of AX stations... hmm

I agree the coolest thing may be the browser based developement tool, and maybe the increased flexibility of the licensing.

I should reread the AX pdf papers at the public Tridium site.. though I don't remember that the AX online docs and answered these questions. Just wondered if any of the R2 retrofit ideas came up in your demo of AX. Thanks

No I don't think that got detailed in the PDF.

And wouldn't it be funny if it all came back to using QNX,?

A few more things I learned:

- There wil be a Jace NXS with 3 processor chouices, expanded memeory and an option for 40 gb hard drive.

- Saw the Jace 2: It's teeny, and very functional

-QuNIX is the future.

- Existing R2 databases can not be migrated to AX. The structure and functionality is different.

- R2 release 6xx, due sometime in 2nd quarter, will include the OBIX language, which ecitsing R2 JACE's can use to communicate with an AX enterprise server.

- An AX enterpise server can be used as a friont end for R2 JACE's, but the AX develpment tool will not work with R2 jaces. You will need to keep R2 loaded to do any work on R2 boxes.

Since the tool is embedded into the UNC, how will the temp licensing be handled from here on in,

It seems to create a security laose I was quite pleased the setup they have now, where you r program had to be licensed to each job, even if you had r2 you could not work on jobs that you weren't licensed for, I like dit that way. I think Open protocol should be open but access to the protocol should be closed.

Originally posted by elynch
    -QuNIX is the future...

- R2 release 6xx, due sometime in 2nd quarter, will include the OBIX language, which ecitsing R2 JACE's can use to communicate with an AX enterprise server.
    Interesting.

The bacnetter's pulled out of OBIX in large part because of Tridium. Bacnetter crybabies tried to take their ball and go home. In typical bacnetter fashion, get involved in something you can't finish.

There is talk of a means of upgrading r2 databases to ax coming soon, but I haven't seen it yet. It's a different format from top to bottom, it would not be a simple upgrade, like bringing a 428 job to 515 or something like that. It will take a little experimentation to see what you can do with it.

Originally posted by elynch

-QuNIX is the future.

elynch

Can you explain more of what you learned about Qnx and why the interest in using it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast