Thread: Tracer Summit

Question

Im an outside contractor (Not an employee of trane), and have been asked(among other things) to bid on moving Tracer Summit to a new computer (the old IBM is going into the dumpster). Im very familiar with Summit and am sure I will have no problem loading the software onto the new machine that is fully able to support Summit.

Here is my question: Will I be able to re-register the software on the new machine without the involvement of the "Local - 100mi away" Trane office. The current software is legally registered and was purchased by the customer. The customer would like to avoid the high cost of a technician and drive time just to reregister the software.

Any thoughts appreciated!

You might try using "norton ghost" to restore a drive image to the new machine and then upgrade the os back to whatever level it needs to be.

I'm not sure this will work for trane, but I have used this method on other systems with success.

You "should" be able to call BASD in St. Paul 1-800-TRACER1 and if you tell them you are the IT guy for whoever company owns this Tracer and tell them you had a hard drive crash they should be able to give you a new access code and be done in 5 minutes.

BUT we all know how things can go, I had a customer who had the same problem as yours and when I called BASD I made the mistake of being honest and told them who I was, they punched my name in the computor and had a do not support flag next to my name and that the customer would HAVE to call the local office, I tried telling the guy I didnt need support just a new registration code but to no avail. Ended up the local office came out and GAVE the guy a new workstation to try and get his business back, then screwed up all the graphics when they tried to reload them, I had a copy of everything but didnt tell them that, after they left I straightened it up, good luck.
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

What version Summit is it?

Summit Version 13.01, I plan to upgrade to Version 16 after I get the new machine loaded with Version 13.01. The computer being replaced is a windows 98 machine, the new machine is XP. I also plan on getting rid of the old Arcnet (They have an extra "newer" BCU that will support this).

Then you or the customer will need to call and have the Summit Authorization Code reset. I agree with chillrdude and suggest you tell Trane you are the IT guy. This will lessen any suspicion. Or if you have a good relationship with your local Trane office ask them to have it reset for you. Once it is reset, you will need to go online to register Summit for the new computer. The Authorization Code (your software serial #) and Locking Code (computer identification) will be required to generate a new Registration number on the website. Summit should give you a thirty day demo but sometimes it timebombs right away and expires the demo.