Thread: Furnace

In a house Furnace how can you determine if it's going bad. I'm buying a house and the furnace is 14 years old. I have an inspector coming out to check it out but I'd like to know for my knowledge.

Not too many of us in the trade are real fired up about home inspectors. Might see what he says but the real answer would be a "good" tech to do an evaulation. Sometimes they are hard to find and often with mom & pop firms, not the big chains. I know that will rankle some fur but around here, the biggies have turned their techs into salesmen pushing replacement if they see anything over 10 years old

Have a reputable HVAC TECHNICIAN check out the heating & cooling system. 9 times out of 10, inspectors dont do jack or know jack and jack is very important and can save you lots of money,

Good luck!
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Baldloonie is right. Smaller companys can give an honest opinion.We do home inspection/supplements. We basically give our opinion,on what we see and can diagnose,In addition to the home inspector.

assuming from your post, a home inspector will be evaluating furnace. It may be in your best interest to call a local reputable hvac company and have an inspection done. A good company will be able to tell you condition and or efficiency of unit as well as potential problems or if replacement is needed.

we do heater certs but they are only good for 30 days reason is a heater can go bad with little to no warning

after the home inspector finishes checking your furnace you can have a qualified hvac contractor due a proper inspection,many times they are just looking for something to find wrong.and they cant properly inspect your ac unless its 65-70 degrees outside.