Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by otto
    Originally posted by mike3
    Wishing you the best. I certainly remember looking for work with 3 mouths to feed..oops 4 forgot me
    Give some thought to working for a small co, I did and it probably was the best thing when work slowed down & I found other work with large co.

[Edited by mike3 on 02-17-2006 at 02:59 PM]
    I'm not sure I understand the gist of your advice there Mikey. Go to work for the small Co? Or take the larger Co? Personally, I'm leaning towards the larger one. I know it's all RTU's and lacks the challenge of learning and working on unique and bigger stuff. But, the RTU's are where I'm quite comfortable and know my stuff. There's still lots to learn on them and they'll always be changing with refrigerant and efficiency mandates.

Both companys claim that I will stay busy all year long. I have heard that from every company that I've worked for in my 20+ years in this business. The proof is in the workload between Jan 15th and March 31st.

I always plan on saving money for the slow times, but there's always some wrench thrown into the works.

Originally posted by mike3
    Wishing you the best. I certainly remember looking for work with 3 mouths to feed..oops 4 forgot me
    Give some thought to working for a small co, I did and it probably was the best thing when work slowed down & I found other work with large co.

[Edited by mike3 on 02-17-2006 at 02:59 PM]
    I'm not sure I understand the gist of your advice there Mikey. Go to work for the small Co? Or take the larger Co? Personally, I'm leaning towards the larger one. I know it's all RTU's and lacks the challenge of learning and working on unique and bigger stuff. But, the RTU's are where I'm quite comfortable and know my stuff. There's still lots to learn on them and they'll always be changing with refrigerant and efficiency mandates.

Both companys claim that I will stay busy all year long. I have heard that from every company that I've worked for in my 20+ years in this business. The proof is in the workload between Jan 15th and March 31st.

I always plan on saving money for the slow times, but there's always some wrench thrown into the works.

I guess what I mean Otto is with small cos you are always working at the pleasure of an owner who may have good & bad days..Son may decide to work their and you may be out..Big co of course same could happen, although not as likely and there may be room for advancemant should you desire that route...And the bennies are normally better with big. I know I ended up with a retirement & 401 I know I would not have received with the co I left. And sick leave and vacation and a good place to work..just a passing thought. I'm sure all that has passed thru your thinking already

The small company actually has some good bennies. $1000 hiring bonus, 2 weeks vacation after 1 year, 5 paid sick days, 6 paid holidays, 401k and the company matches dollr for dollar up to $3000/yr.

I still think the larger may be the way to go. We'll see.
    R2B4BTU

Otto,

It's awesome that you may have your pick of jobs...

I think you're looking for input, here's mine: The very best jobs I ever had were with smaller companies, I am unique and thrive on new challenges and responsibilities. As part of a smaller team it is easier for the decision makers to recognise your hard work and reward it. I've found that this made the wage increase faster while the bennies matched or exceeded the large company. As others have voiced, you might get yanked around more as there are fewer bodies at the smaller firm... the sooner you establish your value to them the better.

Best of luck.

Cool

Small company, but 80% commercial & industrial. The interview went quite well. I should know sometime next week if I will be gainfully employed soon. Gotta drive the wife to her class, be back later.
    been thinking about you....wondering how it was going?.....i hope you get something you will like soon....hang in there brother!!!

I'm glad that I'm not on call this weekend!

Chicago Forecast as of Friday Night

Tonight...Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows from around 5 degrees below zero outlying areas to around zero in downtown Chicago. Lowest wind chill readings 20 below to 25 below zero after midnight. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph this evening diminishing to 10 to 15 mph overnight.

Saturday...Mostly sunny. Colder. Highs 9 to 13 above. Lowest wind chill readings 15 below to 20 below zero in the morning. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday Night...Mostly clear. Lows from near zero outlying to around 5 above in downtown Chicago. Wind chills as cold as 10 below to 15 below zero. West winds 10 to 15 mph.
    R2B4BTU

Otto,

I think it is good you share with us these items in your current life, but a suggestion I would have is not to wear too much on your sleeve here as you have. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but, I wouldn't want you to lose one or both of these opportunities due to you being too open about your situation. Most shops would frown on you speaking so openly about this, especially naming them and such.

Additionally, if you want my vote, I would chose EEI. They have more money. .

Thanks D. I think you're right. I'm just trying to get as much input on this as I can. It's a big decision. My wife just says "whatever I want to do is allright". I like her support, but sometimes I need an insightful discussion.

Perhaps I'll just lay off it for a while and let my mind sort it out.
    R2B4BTU

So where is at right now Otto, do you have offers from both of them ?

I wouldn't focus on them very much until you get an offer, you need to be focused on other companies ,, don't sit back and wait for one or two, you need to get a lot of apps out there first.JMO, no use dwelling on particulars till you get an actual offer, stick to the game plan.

Things are slow around here and these are the only 2 that I would go to work for. I have vowed not to go back to res work as I know i wouldn't be happy. They haven't made offers yet, maybe this weekend or Monday.

I'm just gonna let my mind rest for the weekend if I can.
    R2B4BTU

Talking

Things are slow around here and these are the only 2 that I would go to work for. I have vowed not to go back to res work as I know i wouldn't be happy. They haven't made offers yet, maybe this weekend or Monday.

I'm just gonna let my mind rest for the weekend if I can.
    awww,come back over to the dark side....we need ya!!!.....residential,does have it's draw backs,no doubt,but it keeps food on my table and most of the time,never a dull moment.............just think of all those crazy a$$ customers you get to deal with....man, i love my job...lol......sometimes,we gotta do what we gotta do......it will all work out!!!!!!

Originally posted by Carnak
    Originally posted by TitleLess
    Otto,

It may also help to do a little research on the companies you are applying to, try to find out what their needs are before you get to the interview., then slant your experience and questions to that aspect of the field, I'm not saying to lie,, just have a game plan.
    You pumped for the interviews with shimano,diawa, and penn?
    AHHHH fishing...
    Luke 6:31

Otto, I say sometimes less is more. The small shop sounds better finacially and better in terms of job satisfaction i.e. exposure to different things. I don't know about you but I rank variety high on my list of job wants.
    Luke 6:31

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast