Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A dilly of a pickle

Well folks, it's 0127 and I'm up with indigestion. Don't eat pork roast for dinner at 8:30 PM.

So I'm thinking about these 2 jobs.

Job #1
    Big Company
    All RTU's
    No residential
    Lots of small bennies
    OK Pay (haven't settled yet)
    Future tied to big Co
    Animosity ?
    New Truck
    No sign on bonus
    Uniforms

Job #2
    Small Company
    Variety of Comm/Industrial
    Some residential
    Good Bennies (few but very good)
    Get the pay I want
    Future tied to small shop
    Camaraderie !
    New Truck
    $1000 sign on bonus
    No uniforms

I'm sure there are lots of other pros/cons to consider and I'm glad I have the weekend to ponder them.

[Edited by otto on 02-17-2006 at 02:41 AM]
    R2B4BTU

You have to look out for your family and your happiness.
    Which one would do those in that order?
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Otto, are you sure you did everything to impres them?
    Have you brightend things up? hihi

Originally posted by dutchcool
    Otto, are you sure you did everything to impres them?
    Have you brightend things up? hihi
    I shined my boots for the 2nd interview since I wore a work uniform. The first interview was interesting as far as clothing went. I wore a blue shirt with a gold tie. It was the same color tie & shirt that the interviewer wore. I wonder if that had some subliminal impact.
    R2B4BTU

Otto,

It may also help to do a little research on the companies you are applying to, try to find out what their needs are before you get to the interview., then slant your experience and questions to that aspect of the field, I'm not saying to lie,, just have a game plan.

TL, done and done. I researched EEI and emphasized my experience with RTU's, which is a majority of their accounts.
    R2B4BTU

And even MORE good news this fine morning. My last paycheck went in the bank, My wife's first direct deposit check went in and last, but not least, our Federal Refund was posted this morning. All this is quite a relief since the checking account got as low as $14.00
    R2B4BTU

Originally posted by TitleLess
    Otto,

It may also help to do a little research on the companies you are applying to, try to find out what their needs are before you get to the interview., then slant your experience and questions to that aspect of the field, I'm not saying to lie,, just have a game plan.
    You pumped for the interviews with shimano,diawa, and penn?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

otto i have a good feeling you will be getting 2 phone calls on monday. hope it all works out for you and you find what you are looking for with the new job. funny how things just fall in order.......i was laid off from my first real job after high school, had been there 10 years. laid off on a friday morning and that afternoon my phone was ringing people wanting me to go to work for them, just goes to show if you have a good work record and are good at your job work will find you.

Around here

You take the drug test, physical, then the interview. Wear your HVAC lapel pin! Good luck otto! I'm glad you have a choice. Roy

My hvac-talk pin is still broken. Getting a new pin on the back wasn't a priority considering the financial dip we took.

I got an e-mail and I'll talk more with EEI this weekend or Monday. He said it depends on the other candidates.
    R2B4BTU

Wishing you the best. I certainly remember looking for work with 3 mouths to feed..oops 4 forgot me
    Give some thought to working for a small co, I did and it probably was the best thing when work slowed down & I found other work with large co.

[Edited by mike3 on 02-17-2006 at 02:59 PM]

Originally posted by mike3
    Wishing you the best. I certainly remember looking for work with 3 mouths to feed..oops 4 forgot me
    Give some thought to working for a small co, I did and it probably was the best thing when work slowed down & I found other work with large co.

[Edited by mike3 on 02-17-2006 at 02:59 PM]
    I'm not sure I understand the gist of your advice there Mikey. Go to work for the small Co? Or take the larger Co? Personally, I'm leaning towards the larger one. I know it's all RTU's and lacks the challenge of learning and working on unique and bigger stuff. But, the RTU's are where I'm quite comfortable and know my stuff. There's still lots to learn on them and they'll always be changing with refrigerant and efficiency mandates.

Both companys claim that I will stay busy all year long. I have heard that from every company that I've worked for in my 20+ years in this business. The proof is in the workload between Jan 15th and March 31st.

I always plan on saving money for the slow times, but there's always some wrench thrown into the works.
    R2B4BTU

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast