Brazing next to a soldered joint

Is there any rule of thumb.There is a two inch copper water pipe that needs to have a copper cap brazed on to it.(They want it brazed).There is a shut off valve 24 inches up stream of where they want the cap.
    The 2 Inch brass ball valve is soldered .After a bunch of wet rags are wrapped around the pipe, is that still too close for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by techservices View Post
    Is there any rule of thumb.There is a two inch copper water pipe that needs to have a copper cap brazed on to it.(They want it brazed).There is a shut off valve 24 inches up stream of where they want the cap.
    The 2 Inch brass ball valve is soldered .After a bunch of wet rags are wrapped around the pipe, is that still too close for comfort
    If you have 24 inches between joints there should be no problem

24" away should be no problem, even for a 2" line.

Ditto, 24"/wet rags no prob.
    Suggest using Oxy/Acet rather than a Turbo style torch and a 15% brazing alloy though.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

i would think you should be ok but i know your looking at soft solder versus the hard solder which takes more heat so you could have an issue at the valves if you dont keep it cool enough.

wet rags nice and tightly wrapped and you will have no problems. Plus you have 24" of room between the weld and the valve. Use a few wet rags if your worried

24" more than enough room. get comfortable
    Always leave it better than you found it.

If you keep the rags soaked, the pipe can't get hotter than 212* past the rags

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Ditto, 24"/wet rags no prob.
    Suggest using Oxy/Acet rather than a Turbo style torch and a 15% brazing alloy though.
    With a rosebud tip.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

trick...12".....24" pipe wrench in a bucket of ice grab the pipe will soak up anything heading up the pipe to the valves soft solder without the water dripping.....didn't they ever hear of STAY-BRITEthis trick is good when you have to braze or swet near a threaded fitting with sealant on it...and great for TXV soldering
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    trick...12".....24" pipe wrench in a bucket of ice grab the pipe will soak up anything heading up the pipe to the valves soft solder without the water dripping.....didn't they ever hear of STAY-BRITEthis trick is good when you have to braze or swet near a threaded fitting with sealant on it...and great for TXV soldering
    Niiiiiice trick.

I have to remember that one.

Wet rags around the soldered end should work fine. Only problem I could see is if you have even a drop of water still in the pipe you are going to make steam that has no place to go. If it builds any pressure it will make pinholes in your braze joint as it trys to blow out.