Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Manitowoc evaporator repair

We have a Manitowoc QD0602a machine in our shop. The evaporator plate cube dividers have come un-welded from the back plate. This was probably caused by the machine sticking in harvest due to a stuck curtain switch.

Has anyone ever had success trying to re-weld the plate on one of these and perhaps any tips on it? Trying to avoid paying $1000+ for a new plate.

I haven't heard of any repair for this problem besides replacing. If money is tight, try removing the loose dividers all together.
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

It's just a temporary bandaid type of "fix", but you may actually get the machine to harvest by doing that...at least for a while.

There is no repairing these evaporator plates. If the grids are loose, it's likely the plating is bad as well...which is also a kiss of death.

To top it off, it's common to have tube separation on the back side of the plate too.

When this first happened I tried all sorts of glues and epoxies to repair the evaporator with no luck. A customer of mine managed to fix one with a brown substance that looked like putty but he couldn't tell me what it was. This was the only successful repair I have seen. I just pull the slats out and live with odd shaped ice.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorIce View Post
    When this first happened I tried all sorts of glues and epoxies to repair the evaporator with no luck. A customer of mine managed to fix one with a brown substance that looked like putty but he couldn't tell me what it was. This was the only successful repair I have seen. I just pull the slats out and live with odd shaped ice.
    The problem with trying to reattach those loose grid pieces is while you may be able to get them held in place, but because the "welded" connection has been lost, so has the heat transfer to that section of the grid. The result is the slab will tend to hang up during harvest.

One time, long ago, I had a guy who bought an old G-Series Manitowoc which he wanted to get working. Upon first inspection I saw loose grid sections and while attempting to pull out the worst offender, the whole dang grid dropped into the bin.

The funny part is...the machine worked pretty good after that, as long as he was willing to break up those slabs with a hammer.

We found a place here in Florida that would re-nickel the plate, but it ended up too rough to let the ice fall. We'll try the cut out and check the tubes on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by yardline View Post
    We found a place here in Florida that would re-nickel the plate, but it ended up too rough to let the ice fall. We'll try the cut out and check the tubes on the back.
    I saw one on a G600 about 10 years ago which had been "re-plated" by a local plating shop. It too, was rather "bumpy" in its finish and severely hindered the slab from dropping. That was the answer I needed with regards to "re-plating".

I mentioned this one day to my neighbor, who was in chemical sales to plating shops, who said this bumpiness may have been due to all the impurities typically found in a commercial plating tank. It seems you'd need a very clean, industrial type plating operation to have any hope of success...and then there's no guarantee.

In the time that I have serviced ice machines when the evap plate starts to separate its time to replace. I do not think you can repair it I never have; I have always condemned the unit. What I have found if people are not using nickel safe cleaner it ruined the evap. if you are going to have to pay 1000 or more for a plate put that money in a new unit.
    Last edited by Navy06; 11-30-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: adding to post

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorIce View Post
    Eeeek. Remember that what ice touches that brown stuff and people eat the ice. So if its not food safe you could be poisoning them!

I bet it's right where the ice probe is. I would recommend replacing the evaporator or a new machine.

Repair:
    Syringe with needle extension.
    Thermal adhesive: HY910 Silicone Heatsink Plaster.
    About 8 tubes.
    Works just fine. Now making sheets of ice once more.

We tried treating a plate with this material in the video below as a test for ice that was hanging on harvest,,,,,but as you know water is an abrasive & 6weeks later it had already managed to shed some of that polymer away....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iLWhTcf6wPU

I use nickel safe cleaner on everything ,, can't go wrong then ,, I have even told the apprentice who said " how do I know when not to use nickel safe" I replied " use it on everything"

Okay....?? Not the same epoxy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast