New install-but no air until it warms up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, a rental remodel is coming to completion in a week or so and the hvac guy has finished up with the exception of charging the ac. Heat (10kw) is operational he says but he also says he would like to wait (if its ok with me) to complete the ac charging until the weather warms in about a month.

He has the outside unit set, brazed a cap on both lines at the outside unit (inside AH is brazed together) and said he put in a charge of nitrogen. Also says I can use the heat as much as I want since its all hooked up and ready to go.

Wouldnt be a big deal for me if he waits since I dont plan on renting out this unit until May 1st.

Is this normal and acceptable? I value the knowledge of you hvac guys on this board so please tell me your opinions.

waiting untill the weather warms up is common procedure.then the ac can be properly charged and tested.at least a 60 65 degree day is ok to charge.thanks

sounds like he is being very careful, nitro is good to use as a holding charge and it is best to charge a unit in warmer weather. I would say as long as he is reputable you should be okay....good luck.

the only problem with this method is

a correctly or slightly over charged system in the summer
    will work fine

but when it comes to winter the system will have a gross
    overcharge

and could lead to motor failure

You will have to trust your tech.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes I basically trust this guy, hes self employeed and been doing hvac for 23 years plus came highly recommended from reputable people.

Yes he said a good 60-70 degree day is what he'd prefer or even warmer the better.

appreciate the replies, I will wait on him then to come back mid or late March to charge the system.

Originally posted by fridg

will work fine

overcharge

why would anyone use the ac in the winter its an ah with a 10 kw elec heat kit.

>>>edit... fixed post

[Edited by jultzya on 02-19-2006 at 12:56 AM]

correct-ola!!

Originally posted by fridg

will work fine

overcharge

You will have to trust your tech.

never said it was a heat pump.

Originally posted by curiousgirl
    Yes I basically trust this guy, hes self employeed and been doing hvac for 23 years plus came highly recommended from reputable people.

sooooooo.... then why are you posting here ....????

just curious, why would you even need cooling in the middle of winter??????? if you need ac in a resi section in the middle if winter, i think they need to turn off the heat! you shouldnt need ac until 75-80 degrees, maybe less if you have like a medical problem.

<<just curious, why would you even need cooling in the middle of winter???????>>
    I dont, was just wondering about what the hvac guy said about waiting until the weather warms.

<<sooooooo.... then why are you posting here ....????>>
    Just checking, i found you cant be too careful or knowledgable in this life.

I guess the question is.... is it a heat pump or staright cooling with electric heat, I suspect straight cooling?

If it's straight cooling, then it sounds like you got a good guy. If its a heat pump and he wants to wait until spring... then I would press for him to do it now.

yes sorry i was unclear, straight ac and straight 10kw heat. No heatpump, Ive never had good luck with heatpumps in lower to middle rental homes. Renters (least mine) need simplicity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast