Do new furnaces come with filter box?

Went to my fathers house,and he asked to replace the filter in the furnace.So i went down to change it and found a hole in the return duct 2inches wide by 22 inches tall. His filter is a reg 16x24x1 and it was sideways in the hole.The furnace was installed in 2006 bryant 80 percent.Should he worry or call original company and ask to install a filter box.Just wondering if back then was that a option that my father denied,or a bad install.

Pictures are worth a lot. Whereas a furnace does not come with a filter box when you buy it. It's usually costs us extra. I will just throw some sort of filtration into the price if your old furnace just had it tucked inside. Either filter frame or filter box. You won't even have an option. Maybe his installer gave him an option and he denied it. Have you bothered to ask him? He would probably know better than us.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Pics would be great. Sounds like you may not have any rails for the filter, or just have the wrong size for the slotted rails you have. But post some pics

Yeah there were no rails for a filter.My father cant even find the paper work for the furnace,billing and options.He is starting to forget more and more after his second wife passed away, so after finishing hvac school and waiting for a call for a job I thought i would help mantain his furnace. There are many things that were not done when they installed the machine.No drip leg for gas pipe.Thermastat wire cut and wire nut together three times with different wire between the unit and the ceiling where it goes up stairs.I will put up some pictures next time i go over there.
    I dont want to bad mouth the company, things can change with a company in five years.As of now the company has earned a+ with the better business bureau.I really appreciate all the help so i can call and ask the right questions to get the problems fixed correctly.

I think they cut a filter rack into the drop. It has been done that way for years where I live.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Furnace Filter box

Quote Originally Posted by thomasdudman View Post
    Went to my fathers house,and he asked to replace the filter in the furnace.So i went down to change it and found a hole in the return duct 2inches wide by 22 inches tall. His filter is a reg 16x24x1 and it was sideways in the hole.The furnace was installed in 2006 bryant 80 percent.Should he worry or call original company and ask to install a filter box.Just wondering if back then was that a option that my father denied,or a bad install.
    All furnaces should come with a filter box its in the install instructions of every brand of furnace using the side drop you loose around 20% of your air flow