Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    all its going to take to get thru to him on the u l & other certs.
    is sittingin the defendants chair when a suit is filed.

by re soldering a cold connection on a board you
    have violated the u l cert.
    i have done it numerous times & probably most of you have
    but in all cases we shouldnt have.

i for 1 would not ship any boards to a repair center.
    i do donate them to an electronics re cycler after cutting
    then in 1/2 & he salvages the precious metals & what everelse
    there is & makes a donation to a local charity.

I think you over estimate the influence and perhaps the diligence of both the UL and the AGA. Those markings on any device are a testimony to the design having passed the standards of the testing agency. Surely you realize that neither of those agencies are involved in quality control at the factory. The factory will test a product and assure that it works to a "reasonable degree" and ship it out.
    If there was a cold solder joint on a board causing defective operation, was the the board in UL or AGA compliance before or after the joint was repaired?

Chris, what happens when we install a generic CF motor on a unit? Does it affect the UL approval? Just asking!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

I've seen UL listed products that I wouldn't let my worst enemy use.

Personally I think they are overrated, as long as the same resistor, or relay or whatever is replaced like for like and tested what's the problem.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

I would love to learn to repair them for my own use, where could i learn how to do that, and get the relays? thanks in advance

That would be China!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

I'm not a pro, but if I was, there is NFW I would put in a repaired furnace control board. The cost savings would not justify the risk involved here.

On a AC condenser I might, as long as the customer knew exactly what I was putting in.

The Company repairing the Board is going to Carry the Liability (in an Accident). If you; the repairer company thinks the Original Manufacturer of the Part is going to cover you with their Certifications or Liability... you are totally Nuts.

Any Company owner in their Right mind wouldn't touch a repaired board, the cost savings is not worth it.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Just reminds me of the stuff that contractors would get from Sid Harvey. People hated paying twice for the same part.

My position is "only use new parts".
    However; I am only pointing out something: Furnaces we work on are UL approved. When we replace a relay or other part including the board, we are repairing the furnace as a whole, and returning it to a UL approved state. If a person replaces a component on a circuit board with the exact same part, is this not the same as what we are doing to the furnace?
    Still, I would not use a repaired board!
    Never give up; Never surrender!

I don't want to add to the board beating here but it does bring to mind...

What about reman goods sold? Reman cell phones, tv's, computers and alike. I understand most of them would be by an "authorized repair facility" but are you guys saying that unless they have the stamp "authorized repair facility" all gov/safety organization seals are denied?

This is of course not the same type of safety issue as one my encounter with a furnace but the conundrum would be the same, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    I don't want to add to the board beating here but it does bring to mind...

What about reman goods sold? Reman cell phones, tv's, computers and alike. I understand most of them would be by an "authorized repair facility" but are you guys saying that unless they have the stamp "authorized repair facility" all gov/safety organization seals are denied?

This is of course not the same type of safety issue as one my encounter with a furnace but the conundrum would be the same, yes?

I'm sure you already know... If it's a Original Manufacturer Re-manufactured/Refurbished/Repaired it's one thing but a "Tom-Dick-Harry" repaired it's another. Since we live in a Sue happy World today saving $10.00 ain't worth it. Someone posted about a Condenser board back some, there was a house in the neighborhood that I live in that burnt to the ground, know where the fire started? The Condenser.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast