A few years ago we bought a Carrier furnace for our house. It came with a blue washable filter. The prior system used regular pleated filters. Should this one be able to use a Filtrete or similar?

The other thing is we didn't clean the filter for over a year. I looked at the evaporator. There might be a little dust on it, but nothing is caked up. I tried spraying it with a can of aero-duster, and no dust flew up, but I wasn't able to really get it close in there. Is it worth having a technician check it out to see if it needs any cleaning?

Your system is proof that the blue hogs hair filter is very forgiving under very adverse conditions while still doing its job. Why not just wash it and keep it?

I for one really like the blue hogs hair filters even if they do require having stiffeners inserted in most instances. Other filters have a tendency to be restrictive the more they claim to be better at eliminating airbourne contaminants. The paper framed filters also have a tendency to allow air to go around them.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Your system is proof that the blue hogs hair filter is very forgiving under very adverse conditions while still doing its job. Why not just wash it and keep it?
    So are you saying that since I don't see any heavy dust caked up on the evaporator, it's good? I can't see it that well so there might be a light coating of dust, but the spaces between the fins look open.

For one I was thinking of trying a pleated filter to see if it made any change in the air quality. I tend to have a bit of nasal congestion and I was wondering if it might be due to excessive dust in the house.