Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    I always stuck the long screwdriver to my ear. It works for me..
    Me too.

Years ago I had one of the stethoscopes with the 12" rod sticking out the end. Trying to isolate a noise on a running engine I went for the Water pump and got the stethoscope rod hit with the fan blade! It about Busted my ear drums! I've also used a piece of tubing, it works as good as a long screw driver.

JP you have a SeeSnake?
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

broomstick works also

Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    Me too.

Years ago I had one of the stethoscopes with the 12" rod sticking out the end. Trying to isolate a noise on a running engine I went for the Water pump and got the stethoscope rod hit with the fan blade! It about Busted my ear drums! I've also used a piece of tubing, it works as good as a long screw driver.

JP you have a SeeSnake?
    Yep. SeeSnake is a cool tool. The new, smaller camera head isn't all that great. I preferred the larger head. It gave a better image.

I've tried the screwdriver to the ear trick, too. It's good, but I never carry a long screwdriver with me.

Quote Originally Posted by rayr View Post
    I have one that I use to check if my helper has a heartbeat.
    Every morning ?

I use one, JP. It works pretty good and comes in handy on lots of stuff. Once you get over the other guys you work with cracking jokes when they see you pull it out, it can be a nifty troubleshooting tool that sets you apart from the pack in the customer's eyes.

I also have a monster 12" flathead screwdriver/prybar/persuader that works just fine on big bearings. It's just big enough to fit in the LC, so it goes everywhere I go.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    : I've also used a piece of tubing, it works as good as a long screw driver.
    Exactly...my favorite "stethoscope" is a clean length of rubber heater hose.It works great. It's extremely directional if you're trying to troubleshoot and isolate a "bad" sound or noise, if it contacts rotating parts it's not shoved into your ear, and if it gets tangled in rotating parts it will get sacrificed, and not damaged the rotating parts. Sometimes a standard mechanic's stethoscope is required if you are probing metal to listen to, and isolate bearing noise, or verifying fuel injectors firing on a vehicle, etc.
    B.O. = B.S.

I have been looking for one too, I was wondering If you could be helpful in findings leaks in a system.

It*

Quote Originally Posted by ricky24 View Post
    I have been looking for one too, I was wondering If you could be helpful in findings leaks in a system.
    our extern instructor has found leaks with a condensate tube to his ear.

I bought the HF one for kicks.....had to use my tube bender to put more of a bend in the ear tubes, and sand the mold ridge off the rubber pieces, to make it more comfortable. It actually works pretty good. I use it to listen to blower bearings, compressor oil pumps, bearings and heads, etc. Not something you'll use all the time, but for the cheap investment, it's worth having on the truck.

A stethoscope can come in handy, but you will never know the difference between a high dollar Snap-On vs. a Harbor Freight. Chances are that you won't use one much....

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    If you haven't already guessed, I'm a gadget guy.

Always looking for the next gadget or doodad to make my life easier and to help me to make a better, faster and more accurate diagnosis.

With that in mind, does anyone use one of these?

Harbor Freight has both a standard one and an electronic version.

Any input?

Or are they just a waste?
    Yeah, it's called a screwdriver, and laying your ear against the handle

From a common sense guy
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Used to be in auto mechanics (and aircraft maintenance). Bought a Snap-on one and used it more in aircraft. It is in the van... however it does not come out much. Resi work is easy to diagnose... biggest issue is getting the HO to come off a the bucks for a new system they NEED...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast