I would like to install a zoning system in a 4 bedroom house we are remodelling, including all new ducting. Tentatively I intend to keep the existing 4 ton Trane system, which is 4 years old. I might add a heat pump for the newly added master bedroom. I like the concept of the Carrier Comfort Zone II system because the proportional dampers would eliminate the blasts of air when dampers open and close. I suspect it could also give better humidity control when it is hot and not-so-humid, and the carrier system would also allow me to easily zone individual bedrooms. HVAC Pros seem to be sharply divided on whether the carrier system is any good. Opponents cite claims of reliability problems, oscillations, stuck dampers, etc. Proponents say the new versions have better, simpler dampers, are much more reliable and control problems are actually installation problems. The only claim that is somewhat verifiable is that the carrier system is vulnerable to electrical transients or ground loops which, if true, is easily remedied. Sooo, if I request a Comfort Zone II system will it cause me endless problems or endless comfort? I am curious just how successful Comfort Zone installations are. Thanks. George

I dont know about the Comfort Zone II system but the Infinity/Evolution Zoning system from Carrier/Bryant works well. I have 4 zones and it does a good job of maintaining the temperature in each zone without much cycling ( the heatpump runs almost continuously, mostly in low-speed, as it is apparently designed to do ).

Originally posted by gstein
    I would like to install a zoning system in a 4 bedroom house we are remodelling, including all new ducting. Tentatively I intend to keep the existing 4 ton Trane system, which is 4 years old. I might add a heat pump for the newly added master bedroom. I like the concept of the Carrier Comfort Zone II system because the proportional dampers would eliminate the blasts of air when dampers open and close. I suspect it could also give better humidity control when it is hot and not-so-humid, and the carrier system would also allow me to easily zone individual bedrooms. HVAC Pros seem to be sharply divided on whether the carrier system is any good. Opponents cite claims of reliability problems, oscillations, stuck dampers, etc. Proponents say the new versions have better, simpler dampers, are much more reliable and control problems are actually installation problems. The only claim that is somewhat verifiable is that the carrier system is vulnerable to electrical transients or ground loops which, if true, is easily remedied. Sooo, if I request a Comfort Zone II system will it cause me endless problems or endless comfort? I am curious just how successful Comfort Zone installations are. Thanks. George

I would look at a simple zonex if you are going to retrofit an exsisting system.

I will be saying a small epitaph for the existing duct system at the landfill this weekend. The house is completely gutted, all wallboard removed, etc. The only thing I will be keeping is the Trane furnace/AC unit since it is still in good shape, unless there is a good reason not to. I am considering the comfort zone to save money because it can be used on the Trane and most anyghing else. I would rather put the cash into a spa and steam room.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like all of the Zonex modulating damper systems are designed for commercial applications, they might be a little bit heavy duty for our little lake house.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Look atthe Infinity Zoning,and two stage heating and cooling,the way it works ,is reason enogh to replace the equipment.

zone it

Look into zoning with xcicontrols.com they have the easiest card and you can call them any time for help. for dampers use zonematrix.com they make the best out there and cost the least and easy cool people can order w/ a credit card. i did a house in boulder that had 3 lvels and a mezzanine iread the xci mmanual once and went to work w/ my kid. client was very impressed it sold itsself.

Tony,

Are you a sales rep for the zoning system you have advertised in every post you have made.. Must be..

You need to sit back and read some posts and realize there are many here with as much experience or more than you in zoning..

As far as I am concerned Carrier/bryant Infinity/evolution zoning is far the best zoning out there..:
    Reasons--
    1.) No bypass required or allowed..
    2.) Zone system know exactly how much cfm each zone can handle..
    3.) Infinity zone interface and furnace comunicate with each other to operate to peak performance..
    and many more reasons..

Post some reasons why you think your products are best..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but without some reasons,, you are just blowing smoke..

Welcome to the board...
    J

Re: zone it

Originally posted by tony pelicano
    for dampers use zonematrix.com they make the best out there
    And you know this how? Or is it the only zoning controls you have experience with? If so, then that statement you just made is entirely subjective & is not at all based upon impirical data. IMHO.

gstein -

If you're not gonna invest in a Carrier/Bryant Infinity/Evolution system, then I recommend the Comfort Zone II. It IS a pretty good system; however, I'm hearing some good things about Arzel, too, so maybe you should also look into them while you're shopping.
    WHY?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: zone it

Originally posted by tony pelicano
    Look into zoning with xcicontrols.com they have the easiest card and you can call them any time for help. for dampers use zonematrix.com they make the best out there and cost the least and easy cool people can order w/ a credit card. i did a house in boulder that had 3 lvels and a mezzanine iread the xci mmanual once and went to work w/ my kid. client was very impressed it sold itsself.

Hmmmmm can order with a credit card?Salsman??

Can that zoning system control the cfm output of the blower,and the statges of heating and cooling based on actual demand at the time???