Radiant hydronic heat on slab on grade
    Halo everyone,
    I have posted similar questions in the past.
    I have one of those two story houses without a basement. The heating system is a 2 zone hot water baseboard. While i am satisfied with the performance of the upper floor zone, the first floor is way to cold.
    The first floor is a concrete slab on grade. I plan to perform major renovations to the 1st floor including the heating system. I would like to install a radiant hydronic system but i am not sure if it is practical. The distance from slab to ceiling is 7'6". I have looked into different systems and one that seems the most practical is a system composed of 16 x 16 plastic floor modules, PEX tubing, thermal reflecting foil, heat plates and fiber board. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of system. Is the reflecting foil enough to to reflect all the heat back into the room or i should expect to lose some of the erfficiency?
    Since this system is quite a bit more expencsive than a conventional baseboard system, I would like to know what you experienced service men think about it.
    Any input is appreciated.

insulate around the perimeter of the slab -- Styrofoam at edge, vertically down => 24 inches, then lay a 24" piece horizontally down 8inches below grade.

use radiant panels on walls = no decrease of headroom!
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

With ceilings under 8ft, I don't know if I'd want to lose at least another 1.5" for radiant tubing and insulation. Will /can you remove some flooring to get down to the slab? If you can't, I might just look to insulate the floor and put carpeting or engineered flooring over that.
    You might want to invest in low voltage electric mating to just help warm the floors and put some nice panel rads in for the primary heating.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    You are in a tough situation, I agree with both responces thus far. Force air panal rads that blow the heated air across the floor might be an option for you.

Imer

First what temperature are you running the boiler water 180?

There are several controls that can be installed on the boiler to control the supply temperature with the outside air temp, thus giving you longer run times, and giving the slab a chance to warm up. Along with lower fuel bills. Check with your heating contractor.

Around here 7'6" is minimum height per code. Anything less and it wont pass inspection.

Instead of loosing room heigth, you might want to install a couple radiant wall panels.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I appreciate all your suggestions. Can i get some info on wall panel manufacturers,installation methods, link to Web sites?