After calling 4 HVAC companies. 2 of the estimates said they wouldn't put in a 1 1/2 ton A/C they would use 2 tons. Both were from the same brand of HVAC. One said the cost for the 2 ton is less than the ton and a half and more 2 tons are made. The other said 2 tons is not that much difference. I was concerned about oversizing and humidity. I reminded them about the humidity being close to the lake. The second guy said with the variable speed fan on the furnace it would be perfect. I again said even when the compressor shuts off. Running the fan all the time and being on low would not cause any humidity problems. The house is about 800 sq ft.

I liked the last company that came out, because they had a way to solve my close furnace problem. Put it in the attic and change the ducts because the house never had central air. Just heat ducts are in the attic now, and wrapped with insulation.

Seems to me, if you need 1.5 tons that's what you should get even if more 2 ton units are made.

I don't run the fan all the time in the summer just so I don't put moisture off the wet coil back in the air when the unit shuts off. My choice and I do have a VS blower.

simular-- Sears suggested 3.5T, even though 0.45T keeps the 2133sf house cool now!

if YOU want to know, run the load calc from this site.

are the ducts to be changed due to a/c needing more air flow, or just because the air handler would be in the attic?

I do not like having something which might leak water over my ceilings -- just the roof give me enuf problems.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

putting the unit in the attic is fine make sure a secondary drain pan is installed,also be sure the return air is properly sized for cooling.