Thread: Trane LED codes

Would anyone have the LED failure codes for A Trane XE1000 heatpump.Mine blinks 3quick-short break-3quick. I think that it may have something to do with the defrost cycle. When this occurs the compressor will not come on but the contactor closes and there is voltage through the start capacitor. I can kill the low voltage, wait a while and the LED will resume blinking 1 per second and the pump will energize. Maybe a control board problem or valve ????
    Appreciate help.
    Fred

There are 2 envelopes, 1 on the inside and one on the outside of the metal panel over the controls.
    Both envelopes have the service facts for the unit and a 2 page instruction sheet for testing and diagnostics of the defrost controls.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Odds are it's a somewhat serious problem. It's not going to blow up the house or anything, but likely won't work correctly until a tech has done some work on it.

You can still check out what the code means, if nothing else it'll give you a good head start when/if you call someone to fix it. It might give them a good head start on the repair.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Three up Three down thats the end of an inning. Call a pro. to get the help you need H.P,S are a kritter of there own. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LED codes

Thanks for the reply.
    I located the envelopes but they do not have the LED display codes listed.They do have a diagnostic chart which helps somewhat.Appreciate the codes if anyone has them.
    I believe that the compressor only fails when the tempature falls below 34-33 and it tries or goes into the defrost cycle then compressor fails to start after a few cycles and LED goes 3quick-skip-3quick.

I had a teck look at it and thats all he did was look, at that time the LED was blinking very rapid and it was warm out so it was running OK.He said it was probably a bad defrost control board and left.

When I move the test jumper to forced defrost does that bypass the control board to force it into a defrost cycle?

How can you tell what the defrost times are,30-60-90 or???

It will be around 80 degrees tommorow and I will also
    check it out in the cooling mode.
    I am going to replace both insde and outside units but I need to get this one liveable until I recover from APRIL 15.
    Thanks,Appreciate any advise.
    Fred

I'm not sure when it started, but Trane and A/S do a demand defrost, not based off a timer. If you're unit is pretty old though it's likely it's off a timer.

I know you hate to hear this, but you really should call a tech out (a different one than before). 99% of the time a good tech can find a problem. Once and a while he might have to make another trip out if it wasn't broken when he was there, he might come back when it's colder when it acts up.

Why didn't the other tech replace the board if he thought it was bad?

Ya can get in plenty over your head quick and maybe cause more damage than good. Do you have heat strips for back up heat? If so just switch the stat over to em heat and it should get you by well past April 15th. From the sounds of it, if it's going to be 80 tomarrow you probably don't need much heating. And defrost shouldn't be active durning cooling.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Senior Tech Guest

Re: LED codes

Originally posted by ropechoker
    Thanks for the reply.
    I located the envelopes but they do not have the LED display codes listed.They do have a diagnostic chart which helps somewhat.Appreciate the codes if anyone has them.
    I believe that the compressor only fails when the tempature falls below 34-33 and it tries or goes into the defrost cycle then compressor fails to start after a few cycles and LED goes 3quick-skip-3quick.

I had a teck look at it and thats all he did was look, at that time the LED was blinking very rapid and it was warm out so it was running OK.He said it was probably a bad defrost control board and left.

When I move the test jumper to forced defrost does that bypass the control board to force it into a defrost cycle?

How can you tell what the defrost times are,30-60-90 or???

It will be around 80 degrees tommorow and I will also
    check it out in the cooling mode.
    I am going to replace both insde and outside units but I need to get this one liveable until I recover from APRIL 15.
    Thanks,Appreciate any advise.
    Fred
    [b]Unfortunately, due to site rules we as members can not discuss technical issues with the general public.

Thank you for your cooperation[b]
    [b]
    >>>>>>>Thread Closed<<<<<<<<<

[Edited by senior tech on 02-14-2006 at 11:57 PM]